Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Abeka math 7th grade

Abeka math 7th grade

I have been told by another homeschooling mom that 7th grade is pretty much all review from elementary years. I am doing 6th grade math with my 12 yr old now, and wonder if anyone is doing 7th Abeka math and notice a big shift or just more review. It's getting to the point now where if it gets much more difficult I will have to order the dvd's or video streaming. If the 7th is just mainly review then I probably will not. (save lots of money) Thanks for the input.

Michelle

re: Abeka math 7th grade

I'm not using it for this grade level, but I do have the Math only scope and sequence and I had looked through this earlier in the year to use next year with an older child that I knew needed to go back to lower grades in Abeka if we continued to use it to fix some gapping in what he knows. I had made a note to self on the scope and sequence that he could do grade 6 for what would be his grade 7 and then skip 7 and get him back on track with grade 8 because the grade 7 was mainly review. So based on the scope and sequence for math anyway, it does look like grade 7 is just a review year. If there are struggles there right now in grade 6, then it might be just perfect to review it all again next year.

I don't know if it is a review year or not, but I looked at the teachers manual one day, and to me it looked intimidating to me. A lot more reading pages, 3 pgs to a lesson, I believe? (It's been a few months)

I'm where your at with Abeka, 6th is getting pretty hard, somedays we only do 1/2 a lesson, we are at Lesson 115.

I'm unsure if we will do Abeka next yr or not, if we do, it will be video streaming, otherwise, we will do Saxon, possibly with Teacher or dive cds. Costwise, Saxon is cheaper, plus reusable for younger dc.

There is a lot of review of basic math concepts in the 7th grade course, but my dd had a lot of gaps and needed that. It really solidified her memorization of the facts and many other skills.

I'm not sure if consumer math concepts (taxes, writing checks, budgeting, insurance, etc.) are covered prior to 7th grade in Abeka? Those things are all taught in 7th. Then you get into Pre-Algebra concepts in the latter 1/3 to 1/4 of the book.

We did use the DVD. I couldn't imagine doing Abeka math in the upper levels without the DVD. But then, I'm not strong in math, either.

If your child does great with Abeka 6, they can definitely skip Abeka 7. ;) Reminds me of Saxon 8/7 and 1/2 in that aspect. If he/she struggles with Abeka 6, then certainly do level 7.

My dd was in school for 6th grade but I do know that when I brought her home that 7th and 8th grade math were the same. Unless they are having a hard time with the basics I say skip the pre-algebra 8th grade book, it was the same thing.

So, let me get this straight. If a kiddo is doing well in A Beka 6th, then one could skip 7 and go straight to 8? Or, should one just pick and choose a few concepts out of 7 and then do the same for 8?

My DD has always done A Beka math, and she does well on the Iowa Test in math. Therefore, I don't want to fix what ain't broke, unlike my grammar.

We did math 7 (which I think, is a great course); then, went on to Algebra I in 8th grade. Ds, who is not particularly "mathy" made all A's in math 7 and is almost finished with Algebra I. This is what the Christian schools in our area do :all A's in 7th go to Algebra in 8th, but anything below an A avg takes pre-algebra in 8th grade.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions