Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Read Naturally

Read Naturally

Has anyone used the Read Naturally Program where they have the child read for one minute and then take a 'cold' score, then have the child listen to the same story on CD and read aloud with the reader several times, then at the end, the child reads the story all by himself and then you take a 'hot' score, which shows his improvement? I am looking to purchase the set and was wondering if anyone out there has used it and liked it. Thanks!!
ljh

re: Read Naturally

No, I haven't used it, but it wouldn't be something *I'd* consider.

Some children will pick up reading skills that way and it will be all they'll need, but MOST children need direct phonics instruction. IMHO, you'd be better off choosing a good phonics method (e.g., Spalding, Alpha Phonics, Phonics Pathways, Sing, Spell, Read & Write, Victory Drill Book, a few others).

re: Read Naturally

Yes, currently I am tutoring children (6 of them) with the Read Naturally software. Most of them are making good progress. The one who isn't making good progress tends to memorize the stories easily. With her, I do her cold timing and practicing one day, then wait until the next day to do her hot timing. All the children's wpm and fluency are improving. They are gaining confidence and excited to read. They enjoy the program. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

By the way, the first levels have the option of using a phonics-based CD. With these, at the end of each hot timing, the child reads a phonics word list - 1st in word families, then mixed up. This lets them practice their phonics words. Helpful.

This post was edited on Apr 07, 2010 04:44 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions