Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Sonlight Core 300, 400 or 530

Sonlight Core 300, 400 or 530

I am researching high school curriculum options for my dd's who will be needing it in the next year or two. I am intrigued by these SL cores, but I am not a SL user. I've used SL in the past but didn't care for it for younger children but I think it might be a good fit for my high schoolers. I love the looks of the book lists and the idea of writing and LA linked to the books.

I'd love to hear all opinions and input from anyone who's used any of these cores - good, bad, in between.

I'm also wondering how anyone liked the IG's - I'm not sure what I think of them from reading the samples on the website. They seem to have a lot of good stuff in them, but it also seems like they might be John Holzmann 101?

Was it boring/difficult/interesting/right amount of rigor for your dc?

Thanks so much!

Monique

re: Sonlight Core 300, 400 or 530

My dd (now a senior) used Sonlight Core 400 last year. She really liked it. Of course, she's going for pre-law so this subject was well matched to her interests. It kept her busy, but didn't seem like a lot of busy work. She learned a lot, discussed it intelligently, and has been doing well at community college this year. I'm using Sonlight for my younger kids right now, and hope to be using it when they're in Senior High also.

HTH, Christine

Thanks Christine. How was the writing? What kind of papers did it have her writing? Did you feel the need to supplement with more writing? I'm just wondering because at that point in high school I want my girls to be writing intelligently about the books they're reading.

Thanks!

The writing was pretty good. I'm not big on Sonlight's LA alone, so I've always used other things for writing. I really like IEW. So I supplemented that aspect of it. It's the same with lower level LA Sonlight, I don't think there's quite enough instruction there. So I may have my dc use topics given in Sonlight to write a paper, but they'll do it using the writing tools they've learned in another program. HTH, Christine

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions