Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Apologia DVD's

Apologia DVD's

Has anyone tried Apologia's DVD's yet? It looks really, really interesting, but there's no samples. They have downloaded classes available too, but of course, the DVD's are cheaper.

DVD's
http://www.apologia.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=43

Dowloadable classes:
http://www.redwagontutorials.com/

re: Apologia DVD's

Well, this is an interesting development! You know me..."DVD" in the title of a thread always catches my eye ;0)

This is a nice option for those wanting to use Apologia. Since there are only 32 lessons or so (I looked at the General Science), I'm assuming there's one lecture per module?

I also found it sort of funny that they provide "fill-in-the-blank" lecture notes. That's sort of the way that I see the PACES, except, of course, the lecture is in the reading. ;0) I guess "fill-ins" is not such a curse word after all. LOL (Of course, I know there's a lot more to it as well...I just never expected to see the words "fill-in-th-blanks" associated with Apologia. :)

I'll have to remember to tell the moms I know who use Apologia about this. If we were doing Apologia, I'd give this a try. Perhaps it would help with all that tough vocabulary? Thanks!

Nancy

When I looked at the website for Red Wagon Tutorials, it looks like there's two lectures per module. I think they are scheduled for once a week or something like that. That would be pretty awesome (even college like) to have a 60-90 minute lecture once a week.

I have emailed Apologia to make sure that the DVD's are the same as the Red Wagon lessons and/or to see if we can see samples someplace.

And to think, DVD's for a whole year's worth of material for only $150 that I can actually keep/reuse/resell! Ewww! I'm so excited! (Some place I remember seeing that Chemistry would be coming soon. Hopefully, they'll work on Physics after that.)

(Don't worry, Nancy. If Apologia doesn't work out for any reason, there's a 90% chance we'll be back to ACE.)

I did a little searching at WTM, but all the threads are one to two years old. These seem to have been around at least a couple of years, and do seem to be from Red Wagon Tutorials, but now the guy that did them is with Apologia Academy. I'm wondering why I can't find any reviews?

These look great, but I'm a little confused.

It looks like you can purchase individual recorded modules that are online for $30/module which with 16 modules = $480, and the whole course recorded on DVD-R is $150. Is the difference btn. these 2 that the online modules include the teacher doing the grading and interacting with the student and parent?

Thanks,
Michelle

Is the difference btn. these 2 that the online modules include the teacher doing the grading and interacting with the student and parent?

I'm pretty sure the online does get the grading also, and yes, I remember something about students interacting in class (?), but I'm guessing it's also that you are only enrolling (in your example) in one module at a time. There is an option there someplace of enrolling for the whole year for $200 or so, but Apologia Academy is $450!!! I've also got two students who can do this at the same time, so the $150 is a real bargain if this is what it sounds like. (I can handle grading science.) Hopefully, I'll hear back from Apologia Monday regarding the questions I sent them. I'll let you know what I hear.

Hi,

The students could only interact with the teacher and other students if they're doing it real time, so I'm thinking that with the recorded online modules there is only interaction between the student and teacher - meaning submitting tests and such for the $30/module fee unless they're just offering the $30/module choice for those who only want to view a couple of modules and not buy the whole dvd pack.

And with the dvds you're on your own which is fine with me, too. It looks great with the notes and all included for $150. Just trying to figure out the differences btn. recorded online and DVD-Rs.

I also wonder if the DVDs could be legally used in a co-op. I think I remember reading that the purchaser is only allowed to make copies of his notes and stuff for their own family, so I wonder if more written "licenses" could be purchased.

Michelle who's really excited about this ;o))

I did find one over on Amazon, too. It gives a little more information, and it is (for sure)the class that Red Wagon Tutorials does.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Creation-General-Science-Instructional/dp/B003B99AXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1269733965&sr=8-1

Keniki who is also VERY excited!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions