Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

ace and aop 5th grade american history

ace and aop 5th grade american history

Can anyone tell me their experience with either or both of these.
My son wants to use a workbook type program. I was wondering how they compared in content and ease of use.

Thanks

re: ace and aop 5th grade american history

Well ya know, I typed up this breakdown list of all the workbooks and chapters then found out that I had not signed into this site...grrrr...lol. So here it goes. I have two complete sets of AOP 5th grade History and Geography. We purchased them a few years ago but then that particular year we had to put our girls back into public school so these sets have not been used. I've been carrying them around with me, I guess for the sake of having them if I need them, I don't really know why I've kept them this long..lol. Anyway, if you would like for me to retype the list, I will gladly do so, but I'm thinking there might be a more current edition out because this one seems to end at year 2000. Let me know and if you want to see what they cover, I'll retype it up.

Ok, I actually just went to the AOP site and looked at their samples and they are the same ones that I have, so guess they haven't been updated lately. It also on their samples gives you the break down of basically what I was going to type so no need for me to re-do that. Here is my opinion on these. I think that the information in them is very good. I do not like the way the questions and such are in much of any of the AOP books past 5th grade, but I wouldn't have purchased these, especially not two sets of them unless I had looked them over good first, so I'm guessing that I must not have had a problem with the reviews on these for the most part. I could part with one set of them I suppose if you want them. As for ACE. I know that I had a DD who used 5th grade Social Studies with them, but it has been so long ago that I can't remember what was covered and how it was set up. That particular DD is 20 now so I'm sure they have updated as well. I'm usually more partial to ACE than AOP though.

I'll be using AOP 5th grade history for my girls next year. I have 2 sets of them as well. Why I chose them over ACE.....the teacher's guide is very good and offers discussion questions, project suggestions, biblical applications, etc. ACE does not have a teacher's guide, there are no suggestions for teacher-student interaction (not saying that ACE users don't have interaction, just not guided with a teacher's guide.) I also thought ACE was kind of babyish for 5th grade. They call all the historical figures in the material Mr. so & so. Like Mr. Washington, Mr. Lincoln, etc. I don't know, that struck me as weird.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions