Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

ACE Biology/World History users - opinions needed please

ACE Biology/World History users - opinions needed please

I am thinking of using ACE Biology and World History for my son next year. What do you think of these courses? Did you use the DVD Labs? Please let me know your opinions of these. I have not used ACE in the past and would like to learn more abou it.
Thanks,
Tami

re: ACE Biology/World History users - opinions needed please

My dd LOVES the ACE Biology. She is learning and remembering. We use the lab DVD, not the whole set. It is really easy to use. The Activity Pac lists the pages to read and gives them a section to do-very easy for lesson planning. Then we do the final Check-up and labs at the end of each Pace and take the test.
I don't think Wold History has been updated yet, so we are waiting on that. I love the look of their new World Geography, though!

Thanks for the review of the Biology. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for - easy planning for the teacher and something interesting for the student! I am thinking of getting the DVD labs too.
A few more questions:

How do you know what Lab DVD's to watch and when?

Have you seen the World History Paces? Are they not good because they haven't been updated?

What about US History? Have these been updated?

Thanks for answering all my questions.

How do you know what Lab DVD's to watch and when?

Have you seen the World History Paces? Are they not good because they haven't been updated?

What about US History? Have these been updated?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The labs are numbered by Pace on the Dvd-easy to find through the dvd menu-another big plus for for me as one other dvd we used just had them listed by title and you had to fugure it out yourself! Also the lab sheets are pull-outs in each pace and they have the number and title on them as well.

The World Histroy one are still in that typewriter looking , black and white format. I don't know about the content as my girls wouldn't even consider them, lol.

I think I heard that the Amercan History ones had been updated this year, but I haven't gotten to see them as we haven't had a motel meeting around here yet. IF you can, order at a motel meeting or a convention. Usually if you order 60+ Paces (answer keys usually count, too so each subject is 12-18 paces) you get free shipping, 10% off, and the lab dvd was only $20 instead of $40.
Great place for seeing samples: http://rockinhsmom5.blogspot.com/2009/12/ace-pace-samples.html

We did ACE Biology this year, too. This was the first time we used ACE. It took a little while to get used to the Activity Pac, but now he is rolling right through them. He remembers everything and thinks it is interesting. He asks to do this first each day- nough said.

I couldn't figure out how to do the labs, they aren't written in DO LAB 1 HERE, so I just started playing with the timing. There are usually two labs per Pace and they are labeled on the lab sheet (disection of frog) so I just watched the activity Pac/Pace and threw the lab in wherever it fit with the subject matter. It works. He LOVES the labs, but I'm glad I didn't order the whole set of DVD's for biology. The series is not microbiology (one pace), it's mainly different kinds of animal life in the first paces and human "life" systems, etc toward the end. I WILL be ordering the whole set for Chem next year, though. I think ACE does Physical sci next, but ds did Apologia Physical last year.

I did like World Geography for this year, but ds asked to do American History next year instead of the recommended World History. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that American has been updated but World has not. I may be wrong, but I don't remember DVD's being part of the Social Studies units. Check on that, I'm not sure.

We finally found the groove with each Pace taking about three weeks, give or take a day or two.

S-

Yes, the U.S. History for 11th grade (or whenever) is brand new and beautiful! I've only seen it, not used it though.

World history is the only upper level SS that needs updates, and there are no DVDs for SS.

We are VERY happy to have purchased the full set of BIO DVDs this year to accompany the PACES. The lessons are broken down on the DVDs, which also instruct when to do the labs. The video segments are short 5-20 minute lessons, and they are full of animations, graphics, and animal-planet-like visuals of the topic, which not only help with retention, but also make sure that they are pronouncing the vocabulary accurately. The video tells them exactly what to do for their seat work each day. They are very professionally done. I can see at a glance exactly how many lessons it will take for my dd to complete a full pace, including labs.

Nancy

Does anyone know when the upper level World History is going to be redone? I really need a world history course for my son. I guess I could go ahead and do US History first, but I like to do things in the right order. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Tami

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions