Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: anyone like/use cle science & social studies????

presneie8 -I have used sos science this year and I will not be using it next year. Didn't fit for our family. How ever I did like the spanish very much and so do my kids.

I will look at r&s today. I need to figure what in the world I'm using next year for my 6th and 3th grader.

Is ace science and s.s like their math?? I used ace math for 1 week and dropped it.

daisy00

If you like CLE and are looking for 6th grade SS, I think you will love their 6th grade SS curriculum. It is Sunrise. We are doing, loving, and succeeding with CLE 4th SS (also Sunrise). Next year we have to find something else though since they don't have a 5th Sunrise. For Science, we went with R&S and it has also worked VERY well! My dc have recently finished and they blew me away with retention. They have both commented on how much they loved their science and how it was very interesting. It would be nice if CLE were all Sunrise, but I have found that since we use their LA and Math as well, having some different curriculums weaved in there help break things up a bit. That way they are not filling in Light Units for everything. I hope you find a good fit. I'm in the same boat with History. We are doing Apologia for science next year, but History is still up for grabs. Still seeking :-).

Is ace science and s.s like their math?? I used ace math for 1 week and dropped it.
-----------

Sci/SS is completely an entirely different subject/topic area, so I'm not really sure it can be compared to any math program, necessarily. Was it the math itself or the PACE set up that you did not care for? Cartoon characters? No TM? Mastery style? Bible references? Maybe if you could be more specific about what you disliked we could help with your question a bit more.

My kids REALLY like doing ACE's science PACES. They explain things REALLY well. In fact, my 3rd grader was doing SOS 3rd grade science earlier this year and got totally lost when they started teaching about matter. She was not understanding at all, and the questions were confusing to her. We just started using ACE's 4th grade Science PACES, and they just so happened to start out teaching about matter in the very first PACE. She told me today that she gets it now, and that this was much easier to understand. ACE just has a way about breaking the concepts down in a way that the dc can relate to and understand. They are very organized and structured in their teaching method, and they use stories that most kids can relate to to get the point across. The same dd also just started using the 4th grade SS as well, and so far, so good. She enjoys doing most of her work independently, and I've noticed that the PACES are doing a good job of building her spelling and vocabulary skills as well. My ds12 loves the Science and 7th grade career study. He'll most likely continue with 8th SS for next year as well. Love, love, love the Biology in HS.

We don't use ACE elementary math, though, so I really can't comment on that subject specifically. My dd is doing really well with their Algebra 1, however. It's on par with any other Algebra program out there in terms of content and being "rigorous" enough. I've heard that ACE math starts out slower in their earlier scope/sequence, laying a firm foundation, but it really picks up around 4th/5th grade.

As for CLE's SS, we started out using their 4th grade this year and did not care too much for it. The textbook was pretty nice, but I found that I was doing a lot of flipping back and forth between the TM, LU's, and Textbook, along with extra sheets/maps that are not in the LU's. It got to be a bit tedious. It was a huge textbook for 4th grade, and the LU's were actually pretty intense for a typical 4th grader, IMO. It didn't have that same "wow" effect as the PACES seem to have on my kiddos.

HTH

Nancy

My 5th grade son does the 6th grade Latin America...completely independently.. It is awesome and he loves it. It's a gorgeous text used with the light units.

jules

I have only used one CLE subject. It is the SS 4th grade text. I like the material presented in the text. I do agree somewhat with the LU almost being overkill. However, my dc are getting the majority of the material. I do it with both my 3rd grader and 5th grader. I have added other material in. I have just found the Science and Social studies/History is just easier combined.(most days anyway). That said I looked intensely at ACE, CLE, SOS and R&S 4th grade text. I owned R&S(then sold it), viewed ACE at hotel meeting(but felt it wasn't what I wanted), purchased SOS 4th graded(really did not like this and spent more time on things I was not interesed regarding World Geography/don't get me wrong it had good topics, but not what I wanted) and CLE. CLE sunrise can be used independently. HOnestly, I feel that there is an abundance of writing in these booklets. The textbook with TM/answer key would be sufficient. I feel ACE is definelty for age appropriate in regards to successfully doing it independently. However, ACE wasn't as in depth as I wanted in certain areas. I have used several ACE paces and strongly considering for my 4th grader next year, except math and History. We use MUS and plan MOH next year. I use AIG God's design-Properties of Ecosystems this year. This went well with CLE 4th grade social studies. However, I am trying to complete the Chemistry and Matter books and wish I would have just focused on the Ecosystems/animals the whole year.

what I didn't like about ace math there seemed to be to much math crammed on one page (busy) and there wasn't a TM and a little to do with mastery. Many times I still need to explain things to dd. Like what was on ace math page wasn't enough for her. I LOVE cle math TM. It tells me what/how. I was just wondering if ace science/ss was busy looking.

I love all the information I'm getting. This is great
daisy00

This post was edited on Mar 12, 2010 11:03 PM

re: re: anyone like/use cle science & social studies????

Thank you for starting this thread...so helpful!!!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions