Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Learning to Spell through Copywork

Learning to Spell through Copywork

It's by Sandi Queen. Anybody use this. How did you like it?

re: Learning to Spell through Copywork

bump.

HI there. I didn't want another spelling post to go by without a response.

I saw you asked about 'spelling workout' yesterday, too. I thought there must be someone here who has tried it. I know people have discussed it here before.

I took a look at the copy work by Queen and it looks good. I like that the spelling rules are there at the top of the lesson. I like rules. My ds was able to memorize rules, but when he wrote, they seemed to disappear. I guess that's where the copy work comes in. (I know, I'm no help at all.)

We struggled finding a good fit for spelling last year for ds. We are using AVKO SS now and like it. I still need to give it more time to see how well we do with it, though. My dd uses CLE.

Hopefully, someone will see this and chime in. :)

Yes we used it the last half of last year. It's a fine program but my dd didn't seem to really be getting much from it, as far as spelling lessons though. I think the approach was just not translating for her. I then tried Spelling workout and then this year Rod and Staff. None of these seemed to work for her. She's using Spelling time for free on the computer and it seems to be working better for her. We also do use Queens Language Lessons series.

Much luck to you,

Thanks for your input.

Your very welcome. I hope you find a good fit for your family.

I wish that one could take a better peek at the Queen copywork books. The one that we used was "o.k." but was not very engaging and the content was not as great as I was anticipating (I think the content should be a valuable part of the process). I would say that you could be just as successful coming up with your own ideas. Dare I say that I don't think they are a good value for the price? I certainly don't mean offense (in fact, I am thinking of using their gentle language arts books again - I've liked them in the past).

We have had success this year w/the dictation passages used in HOD from the out of print (but found online) book Dictation Day By Day.

Thanks for your input cozyfamily...I probably won't go with this...I was just browsing through their catalog and saw this. I probably should just try HOD's way before buying anything...

It's ok...basically repetition is the key. Nothing new there. But it was not enough for my guy.

If you are looking for repetition with plenty of practice and very easy to use, ACE is great. My son has done GREAT with ACE Word Building this year.

We are trying MCP next year because it was sooo much less expensive but if the first few weeks do not pan out we will go right back to ACE.

:)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions