Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Ray's Primary Arithmatic and TG

Ray's Primary Arithmatic and TG

I have been trying to look at sample pages. From what I can see the Primary book looks like a lot of word problems. A good thing, but am I missing anything?

The TG, written by my hero, Ruth Beechick, I can't really figure out from the samples I have found. Can someone describe this to me?

I understand that the Primary book can be used alone, what about the TG? Can it, or should it not, be used alone?

This looks like it could precede SU math. Woohoo!!

re: Ray's Primary Arithmatic and TG

One website I've been to, recommends using Ray's Primary Arithmetic with The Arithmetic Series workbooks put out by I believe Mott Media for 1st and 2nd and then either stick with Rays or move to Stayer Upton for 3rd grade on up.

I can understand the suggestion, but it is a sales tactic. These books came out long before wkbks. If I were to use wkbks then I could just stick with R&S. My goal, and I should have posted it to begin with...sorry, is to have a quality education for my dd with as little expense as possible. Can I say we are DIRT poor. Thankfully we do have a mobile home as long as we can come up with the tax money to keep the government from stealing it from us. But even food and electricity are a struggle for us. It doesn't help that we are a literature family, and have a poor library. If I can save in other subjects to be able to buy (second hand) other books for history all the better. Sorry, I should have been clear to begin with.

Anyone used this that can describe them to me?

ok susie - like i said before, I had bought this and looked at it and then sent it back. yes, i suppose you could use it before SU, but, and I am going to be really really honest here, you don't need to! If you just teach your child counting with objects, say beans, teach her how to write the numbers and simple addition/subtraction (with beans and stuff) and patterns (like 2 beans, 1 bean, 2 beans, what comes next) you will be fine.
here's my plan: I bought a $6.95 complete book of math for grades K-2 (which is what MFW recommends before starting Singapore) and then switch over to SU after the completion of that workbook. It couldn't get any cheaper (well, it could, you could grab a couple $1 workbooks) but don't put out any money for the Ray's. That books costs at least $10 plus shipping, then you probably would want the key which doubles that cost, so not worth it. We all so badly want a "program" for everything, when really, teaching the preliminary math is so second nature. You really don't need it. Save your money.

one more thing, I use the PLL and have the ILL which I will use when dd finishes up. And the SU, and yes, the low cost is a HUGE plus! Throw in Bible copywork, and use spelling lists from the internet - the Dolch word lists are a great place to start, and you're only at about $25 or so for the year. I'm living on the cheap this year too, and the quality of the materials cannot be beat!
And we use the library a LOT!

Susie - could you post your email address or email me? heidibee11 @ hotmail dot com
I have some things that you might like.

This post was edited on Feb 09, 2010 04:39 PM

Hi,
I wanted to send you this site when I read that you are "dirt poor." This is a free math program that is very popular on the well trained mind board. If you have a printer you can download the lesson plans, workbook pages and even the extras for each year. I will be using this once I complete my current material. Why buy when you can get a quality math for free. I know you were inquiring about Ray's but I thought you may be interested.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

HTH,
Penny

Thanks, I will check it out.
I think other people have printers that use cheaper ink. We have to pay about $20-$30 (I forget) for a cartridge, and won't get enough printings to amt to half a wkbk of pages even set on economy printing. But maybe there will be some pages I would want to print up occasionally. I'll take a peak!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions