Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Can you please compare ACE, Alpha Omega LifePacs, and CLE?

Can you please compare ACE, Alpha Omega LifePacs, and CLE?

If you have used any of these can you please share your experiences? I am not really to familiar with any of these programs, so any information you can share would be greatly appreciated? How do your children like using this format?

I am especially interested in the lower level Science, History, Bible and possibly English/Writing.

Where do you typically purchase these programs?

Thank you so much for your time.

re: Can you please compare ACE, Alpha Omega LifePacs, and CLE?

Hi, out of the 3 you've mentioned, I've used AOP math 2 for a very short time and didn't like it. Can't remember why as it's been awhile.
I use CLE this year tho. We use LA 2 and really like it. I do supplement the cursive writing with Abeka and that is because my Dd wanted to learn it right when school started. CLE doesn't introduce it until Light unit 204 and it's very lightly.
I also use their Math 2 and that is going fine. I haven't found a math that I'm in love with but this will work for now.
We also use their Bible 3 and it's so good. It doesn't take long to do at all. We read a story everyday and she answers questions to it.
The stories build on each other.
CLE is very easy to teach in the younger years and doesn't take long at all.
I like all the spiral review, it helps keep everything fresh in my Dd's mind.
We are going to be starting ACE's Word building 3 on monday to keep building on her spelling. I'm kind of freak on being a good speller after having a son with a spelling LD.
We are also starting ACE's science 3 soon and it looks nice so we'll see how that goes.
Good luck on your decision.
Kris

CLE's original LightUnits were simply reprints of AOP LifePacs, (with AOP permission) but without the color, and altered slightly to reflect their Mennonite beliefs.

In recent years CLE has been gradually changing all their basic curriculum into their own Sunrise editions. These are greatly different. They're two-toned; the font is easy on the eyes; they are divided into day-by-day lessons with removable tests; and they are in a spiral method, versus the mastery method of AOP LifePacs. They are still in sets of 10 LightUnits.

They have complete Sunrise editions in Reading, Language Arts (which conveniently combines grammar, spelling, and handwriting in one), and Math in grades 1 - 8. They also have Sunrise editions for Bible grades 1-4; Science grades 1-2; and Social Studies grades 1-3 and 6. I believe there is a Sunrise as well in high school 9th/10th grammar, and 11th grade English course. They do plan to update all core curriculum into Sunrise ed., but it takes time.

As for ACE, this is a bit different. Unlike CLE, it is full-color, and comes in sets of 12 workbooks, called PACES. It's mastery versus spiral in teaching method. It is actually designed to be primarily self-taught and thus has no need of teacher manuals. It just needs answer keys. In the high school math and science courses, they have beautiful DVD sets to help with those more complicated subjects if you want.

AOP LifePacs are in sets of 10, like CLE. They are full-color, and mastery-based. I haven't used them, but from what I undwersatnd, they are best when used with parent interaction, using the teacher guide, as this provides supplementary information that really adds to the course material. It seems that those who've had the most dissatisfaction with them have been trying to utilize them in a more self-instructional way (like ACE).

Hopefully some of the ladies who use these day-by-day will chime in with some better iformation. :) I haven't personally used AOP or ACE, but I have seen them and researched them. :)

Mommy4Jesus

What mommy4Jesus said is right on.

We use all 3 for various subjects/grades/dc.
CLE: Math 3rd and 6th; Social Studies 4th; just finished LA 6th
ACE: LA for 3rd, 7th, and 9th (just starting), Science for 7th and 9th (fairly new)
AOP: High School Electives (home ec, Foundations for Living-have but not used yet), Switched On Schoolhouse 3rd grade science

I wanted to add that the biggest problem with lifepacs is that they are all written by different authors, so some are better than others. Some of them are very interesting to read, while others will bore you to sleep. We'll probably also use them for British lit next year (I like what I saw in the samples of these ones). They do offer some great electives. It is true that you need to utilize the TM a bit in order to really bring it to life. That's where you will find other book, writing, and activity suggestions, as well as the answer key. I feel that their SOS version (done on the computer) of their lifepacs do not explain concepts very well at times, but we are keeping with it for now. My dd likes her SOS science. I'm probably going to switch her to ACE for science next year. I think ACE does a bit better of a job with teaching content, plus they are strong on character training as well.

We find ACE products the easiest to use so far, and the explanations of everything are very well done. At least in what we've used and seen of them so far. EVERYTHING is written directly to your student.

CLE is great too, but the younger grades, especially, will require the use of the TM for more than just answers. Some of their subjects use a colorful textbook and have the light units to go along. Definitely written with a Mennonite perspective, especially in social studies. I'm not thrilled with CLE's Spelling component that is included in their LA LU's, and they suggest that you supplement the creative writing for LA. ACE separates their LA components into 3 separate paces (English, Word building, and Lit/CW), which makes it easier to place your dc accordingly in the various aspects of LA.

HTH

Nancy

Unless they've changed significantly since I used them, I don't know how parents could really be more involved in Alpha Omega. :-/ I don't remember any extra information in the TM that added anything to the student materials.

Alpha Omega Bible, English, and history weren't bad--not great, but acceptable. I did NOT like any of the science that we used. I didn't use math because I was doing something else.

I used AO back in the late 80's the first year I began homeschooling and I'm not sure I even had a TE then...old age and brain cells and all that. Anyway, I have the 6th grade TE for Language Arts given to me last week. There are suggested activities for every section in the Lifepac. You are suppose to pick and choose NOT do them all. Here are the Teacher notes for Section III Lifepac 601. There is a lot of extras if the parents wants to do more!

1. Discuss these questions.
a. How is the writing contained in the Bible everlasting in value?
b. What are the eteranl rewards promised in the Bible?
c. What is meant by God's infinite knowledge?
d. How does God help you understand His knowledge?
e. What literay form did Jesus use to help people understand His spiritual Truths?
f. Why is Jesus called the Good Shepard?

2. There are some Hymns listed to sing...ex. "Surely Goodness and Mercy"...etc

3. Have a discussion panel of student tell of comparable dangers for animal sheep and for christians who become sheep of His pasutre. For example, as sheep are endangered by the wold, Christians are often endangered by false prophets who would lead them astray, by teaching false doctrines.

4. In the library, choose and skim through three books. Evaluate their acceptability as good literature according to criteria found in Philippians 4:8.

5. Choose a good book to read in school during spare time. Write a short paragraph for your teacher telling why the book is accetable reading according to the standards learned in the LIFEPAC.
6. Make an attractive bookmark with the text Philippians 4:8 written on it.

Section III of LIFEPAC 602

1. Plan a listening time for several weeks. Read to the student from selected books, stories, poems, or atricles. Discuss the main ideas and identify supporting details.
2. Discuss these questions.
a. What is the main idea of a story?
b. What are supporting details?
c. What does t mean to internalize what you read?
d. What is a vowel digraph? Give some examples.
3. With a group of studensl, choral read the Declaration of Independance.
4.With a group of students, make a mural about the Libert Bell.
5. Read an article in a newspaper. WRite the main idea. Underline the supporting details in an article.
6. Read more about the Liberty Bell. Find a book in the Library or use an encyclopedia. Write down some new fact you learned from your reading.

This post was edited on Jan 09, 2010 07:18 AM

Unless they've changed significantly since I used them, I don't know how parents could really be more involved in Alpha Omega. :-/ I don't remember any extra information in the TM that added anything to the student materials.

Yes, they've evidently changed. I liked Nancy's wording when she said, " It is true that you need to utilize the TM a bit in order to really bring it to life. That's where you will find other book, writing, and activity suggestions, as well as the answer key."

I have an 8th grade TM in front of me. Lifepac 801 is "Europe Comes to America". Section 1 is "Quest and Conquest". The Teacher's Guide suggests the following "Additional Learning Activities":

1. Discuss these questions.
a. What did Western Civilization get from Greece? from Rome? from Judaism? from Christianity?
b. Why was Prince Henry's work so revolutionary?
c. What kind of man was Columbus? a hero? an opportunist? a fool?

2. Do a class or individual project on spices to find out which were important, where they came from and how they were used. Give a report.

3. Do research and a report or paper on the Viking exploration of America.

4. Different students should read about the lives of different conquistadors. Each should make a brief report to the class. Then, draw some conclusions. What kind of men were they?

5. Map out Magellan's trip around the world. Discuss what the circumstances would be like for the sailors at differnt points on the journey.

6. Discuss this question: Could the Aztec and Inca Empires have defeated the Spanish? If so, How?

My teacher's guide is a few years old, so activities may have changed, but this gives you an idea of what the "extras" are that are in it.

HTH someone. :o)

LOL, Violet and I must have been typing at the same time. At least we picked different units!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions