Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Anyone out there who tried HOD(Heart of Dakota) and did not like it???

Anyone out there who tried HOD(Heart of Dakota) and did not like it???

Just wanting to hear from any of you who fit into this category......

Why did you not like it?

How does it compare with other "literature-based" programs such as MFW, LBC, Sonlight, etc.

Look forward to hearing from you....

Happy New Year!
Liz

re: Anyone out there who tried HOD(Heart of Dakota) and did not like it???

I tried Little Hearts with a 6 year old. It's been quite a while, so I can't remember details, but we abandoned it. It gave us the feeling of "school at home" with many activities that were time wasters rather than learning experiences. I also remember that the history topics jumped without transitions. I would never recommend HOD or consider it again.

I am sorry, but I DO like HOD but wanted to chime in!

I compared HOD and MFW at the conference this year. I knew immediately just by looking at the manuals that I would go with HOD. It was just more user friendly for me, but a good friend liked MFW better! I have read that MFW is better if you are combining children.

At first, I felt that HOD didn't "flow' but now that we are well into the manual, it has a nice feel and I really see my DS10 learning and maturing with HOD. We have had some incredible conversations about the Lord and scripture! I think the author does an excellent job of balancing the activities in a day. She suggested that I start at half speed, doing one side of the manual until my son learned the flow of the activities. That was excellent advice.

HTH--Lily

I wouldn't say I didn't like it but it is not on level for ds. I new right away if I used LHFHG for K the some of the texts would go right over his head. One thing that got to us with the preschool LHTH is that while I could see the point of the activities some just weren't really exciting and some were repeated several times. So much so that my dd who tagged along didn't want to do it again this year when it was her turn "officially". I am afraid I will have the same problem again with LHFHG because she will most likely tag along with ds and then may not be interested in doing it for herself. The jury is still out though.

I tried it for 3 weeks, and it's not that I didn't like it, BUT

We started off in Beyond and some of it was too hard and some was right on. So I tried LHFHG and it was too easy in parts and just right in others, so I spent the 3rd week working out of 2 manuals and tweaking things, and I realized that what I had thought would be easy for me was ending up being a lot of work, and that I really don't like CLP texts that much, and HOD relies heavily on CLP science and history. So I scrapped it, kept what I liked (Singapore) and since we were using a different phonics amyway all I had to do was find something for science and history which I have plenty of anyway.

I did. I actually liked it and dd hated it. However, the spelling didn't work for me nor the poetry (yawn) and I did my own math. One of the things that bothered me was the science. I'm pretty anal and like to have some order and there was no order to it. I liked the history and the way it's set up with the key ideas but we hated the book Stories of the Pilgrims. It was too long to spend 13 weeks on England through Plymouth. I loved the Bible portion and the applications, but just don't enjoy CLP books. I did order Bigger but after perusing through it sold it. I wanted a Christian focus and simplicity, but then I saw that some of the geography and history stuff was kind of like doing Beyond all over, I just couldn't do it. I like a reasonable change from one year to the next and the activities were too similar. There's just a redundancy to it that bothered me.

Let me add though that Preparing and CTC look really good in content. I'd be afraid though that it's the same type of activities, which isn't bad, but after a few years, I'd like something different.

This post was edited on Dec 30, 2009 07:02 PM

I agree with some of the previous posters on a lot of points. HOD is set up essentially the same in all the books. I used Little Hands to Heaven (2-5 yr old), Little Hearts for His Glory (5-7 yr old), and Bigger Hearts for His Glory (7-9 yr old) this summer with my pre-k, 1st, 3rd, and 4th graders.
The science in the younger guides is just reading a sentence or two here and there throughout the curriculum and jumping all over the CLP science books for it to line up with the history. The history I liked for LHFHG, but 1/2 of the year the history was from the Family Time Bible. I agree with the previous poster that some of it is just right, some of it too easy, and some of it seemed to be stretching the capabilities of my child. It was just all over the place in order for it to accomodate the ages on the guides. It isn't really grade levels but age groupings for the guides.
My children also waned on their enthusiasm after the first several weeks. It does become the same thing over and over. I wanted open and go and easy to implement with a lot of children over a lot of age ranges. It wouldn't work for me in that respect.
My child that loved to draw and was so anxious for the science notebooking slowly withdrew to hastily scrawling pictures to be done with it.
The preschool book was the same activities repeated every week. The LHFHG for kindergarten/1st grade had a lot of things that I found to be useless and not necessary. With BHFHG, I had an advantage that we hadn't used Beyond so it wasn't a repeat of the topics covered in Beyond. However, the Egleston books were kind of drab and I spent a lot of time reading to a child that definitely got a glazed look in their eyes often.
It does follow a Charlotte Mason style of language arts later than sooner and writing definitely later (in the CTC guide I believe) as well as a low focus on science in the lower grades.
The spelling list was sad. The "hard" list for BHFHG was more on the lines of end of 1st grade words. The dictation was very easy for BHFHG as well.
It just wasn't what I expected and didn't give me what I was looking for in a curriculum to encompass 4 children over multiple grades. It was also lacking in what I expected for their age/grade level in my opinion.

I used Little Hearts and the Bigger manual and then Bigger Hearts. There are a few reasons why I personally do not like it. I don't like CLP history and science. I didn't know this until trying HOD. I found some of it below age level while others were above age level. The Eggleston books used in Bigger have caused my ds eyes to glaze over. Reading the short little segments was driving him and me crazy. He is doing much better if I read the entire 5 pg chapter in Eggleston but even still it is tough. Also, there aren't many pictures which makes it hard for my ds to know what we are talking about. I found some of the activities to be pointless and repetitive.

But another thing that I don't like that hasn't been mentioned is the day by day format. I prefer a weekly format. This way if there are a couple of days that are extra busy I can look quickly to see what we can cut or what we can double up on to make up for days we are out of the house. I also don't like that there is no supply list even if its just a weekly or monthly list. Yes she uses common household items or I've found ways to tweak an activity to use something we may have but its nice to have a list so I can gather things before hand and not ever house has the same common household items. So I was having to go page by page through the manual and make a list of what I needed and when.

HTH
Sarah

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions