Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Landmark Freedom Baptist Curriculum

Landmark Freedom Baptist Curriculum

I have been browsing their website a bit today and considering for a couple things. Mainly, English and Science. Anyone used it? What are your thoughts? Has anyone used Ace and LFBC and compare the two?

Thanks,
Linda

re: Landmark Freedom Baptist Curriculum

HI Linda, what ages or grade levels are you considering? I have used some, so I might be able to help you with it.

This is just MY opinion. I ordered this two years ago and IF your kids are very quick learners and need nearly NO review, this is the cirr. for them. My kids need some review and I felt there was pretty much no review. Unless, you wanted to do the review on your own before every new concept, that's up to you. I like the review built in. We ended up with CLE and I wished I would of found CLE from the beginning.

LFBC is mastery-based, and does not spiral. The concepts are built upon in layers, and there is review of previous concepts interspersed throughout the curriculum.

One thing that was appealing to me was price point. I found it very affordable, and very true to fundamental Christian beliefs. It is obviously Baptist in nature. We aren't Baptists, but we are Christian (Full Gospel). I never found anything that conflicted with our particular denominational beliefs (I didn't expect to, either!). :-)

We used LFBC during elementary, for grades 2, 3 & 5. We didn't use it for all subjects though, because we're very eclectic. I used several subjects in different combos for different years. I liked the subjects of Bible, English, History and Science best, with my least favorite being their Math (we already had our Math bought anyway, those years). I looked through the subject of Math extensively in the store, and walked away from it thinking it was something that would have worked if one would use it for K or 1 through at least 6th grade, particularly because of the scope and sequence being mastery-based (check out the scope and sequence on their web-site for more info).

The parent materials state that LFBC writers have a strong belief in laying a good foundation in the 3R's, and focus heavily upon good skills in Grammar, English, Reading, Writing, Literature and Math. I do believe their scope is a little advanced, particularly in those areas (this is also obvious in History and Science because of the reading level). However, I don't think it's too advanced that it would be difficult for the average student.

I found LFBC to be very utility looking, with its plastic comb binding and mostly black and white pages (it does have a little colorful example here and there, but not much). A few of the pages throughout (but certainly not all) were sort of blurred looking, possibly like they were moved while being printed (not sure what was the cause?). But they were legible enough for ds. He had no problems reading those pages.

The lessons are divided up into 5 days (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, and so on). This makes it is very easy to plan the lesson schedule, and very easy for the child to know where to start and stop each lesson. Day one (typically a Monday) is almost always vocabulary, and day 5 (typically a Friday) is designated for testing. We rotated the subjects and days so ds wouldn't be doing all testing on Friday, and all vocab (def. writing) on Mondays (it wasn't difficult, but it did take a little extra thought on my part to keep that alternative schedule straight).

There are different types of questions: crossword puzzles, definition matching, fill in the blanks, true/false questions, essay questions, writing complete sentences, punctuation practice, writing reports and paragraphs, etc. throughout. So it does develop critical thinking skills. It is very easy to grade, and easy to administer the tests.

I liked how it can be used either in a student-directed OR teacher-directed way. There is no TM, only the student workbook, tests, and answer keys for workbook, quizzes and tests. The teaching portions are written right in the student book, and it very easy for ds to do the work on his own. However, I would occasionally step in and read aloud to him anything he didn't understand. And I then assigned the questions that followed the teaching portions. We mostly used it as a student-directed curriculum, though.

Looking back, I have mixed feelings about LFBC. Over all it was okay. Not the best, but certainly not anywhere near the worst curriculum I ever used. KWIM?

HTH!

HTH

Thank you all!
Cocoa that was a very good explanation. Thanks for taking the time to type all that up! :-)

I am looking at grades 5-7. I have a 6th and 7th grader but my 6th grader works more on a 5th grade level.

So, there is no TM but it does have an answer key in the student book. Is that right?

Thanks,
Linda

Linda wrote:

"Thank you all!
Cocoa that was a very good explanation. Thanks for taking the time to type all that up! :-)

I am looking at grades 5-7. I have a 6th and 7th grader but my 6th grader works more on a 5th grade level.

So, there is no TM but it does have an answer key in the student book. Is that right?

Thanks,
Linda"

You're very welcome. It really didn't take that long to type out. I worked on it a little bit here and there.

If you are asking about placement, I've no idea on that. It really depends on the child, and the prior work he/she has done. I would suggest that if you are seriously considering using LFBC, then purchase their scope and sequence book ahead of time so you can get a look at that detailed information about each grade level and subject. Sometimes just looking it over will let one know better about placement. I would ask the company for samples of the grades you are considering, and if they have placement tests or info on that. I've never ordered directly from LFBC and I'm not sure if they have samples or placement testing. But it couldn't hurt to ask. :-)

As for your question about the answer keys, those are NOT included INSIDE the student's workbook. They come separately, but are included with each subject workbook when purchased new. The answer keys consist of tests, quizzes, answers for tests and quizzes, and answers to the workbook questions. The answer keys are designed to fit a standard 3-ring notebook. You would keep them guarded until time for grading. If you choose to let them grade, you can give the answer keys to the child after they finish each lesson. Or you can do the grading, if you wish. Whatever works best for you. :-)

HTH!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions