Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MFW CTG with MOH 1

MFW CTG with MOH 1

Is it possible to use MFW CTG with MOH 1 ?
I would probably drop streams of civilizations. I really like MOH but need a lesson plan and Bible +Science planned in a curriculum.
I like the structure of MFW .

re: MFW CTG with MOH 1

You could use it, but much of it would be redundant. I'd have to pick and choose if I were trying to combine them. But by doing that, you'd be losing some of the "structure" aspect of MFW, kwim?

Do you already have both CTG and MOH in your hands? Have you looked through the lessons in CTG yet to see what you'd actually be doing? To see what MOH has that CTG doesn't?

I would choose one or the other. We tried to supplement CTG with MOH, but because the timing was off a bit as we were reading through MOH; it was just easier to stick with one. I ended up transitioning to MOH as our spine and using the MFW guide as more of a topical index for some basic activities. MOH would have been perfectly complete by itself, though, and a lot of similar books to use "for fun" are mentioned in the appendix in the back. MOH is VERY chronological, following all of the events on a timeline as they happen in order, whereas CTG is more topical and dependent on a timeline to be able to "see" all of the events occuring at a given time in various places. For example, MOH will focus on a particular time, showing what happend in the Bible, Asia, Europe, Africa, etc during that time. I don't think I would try to accomodate both programs again. MOH can be used in so many different ways and as in depth as you want to go with it. It has tests/quizzes if you want a textbook feel, literature/DVD suggestions, hands-on stuff for the kinesthetic learners, and even map work. It is a book that really needs to be read cover to cover, in order, due to its cummulative nature in that it builds on previously learned stories through history with plenty of review. MFW is notorious for jumping around in their books to accomplish their goals, but to their credit, when studying the ancients, they depend mostly on the actual Bible as a spine. I found, though, that at the time I had my 2 oldest doing the ancients, they were only 8 and 10, and reading through a good, chronological storybook was more suitable for their comprehension levels (we used Egermeir's), and worked beautifully with our MOH.

HTH

Nancy

Ok, thank you Nancy now I see why it would be hard to do both. Your post is very helpful .
I have to pick one . ..
I did not buy MOH or CTG yet , I am planning to use either one in the future.

Karenee , I read this great review for MOH (among many others) written by the author of The trivium . I don't know what MFW CTG doesn't have but when I read this review , it seemed that MOH was exactly what I was looking for.

However , I am concerned that MOH would not be enough as I read in other reviews here that it is very brief and includes too much Bible and not enough history. Also , I am a very busy mom of four and work from home so I need something that is planned for me every day , science and Bible included . I like chronology in history , that is why I am not considering Sonlight.
So here I am between MFW and Moh :-)

Here is the review:
http://www.triviumpursuit.com/blog/2009/04/27/a-review-of-the-mystery-of-history/

I read that review a while back, and it is a great one! I was briefly tempted to go ahead with MOH for my 5th grader instead of CTG this year... and then I went and got REALLY crazy instead, and started trying to combine CTG *and* HOD CTC. Talk about causing myself frustration!

I think what I like best about CTG over the others is the amount of actual Bible reading (vs. reading *about* the Bible), but MOH is good, even besides that.

However, if you really want/need Bible and science scheduled in, MFW is 'da bomb' for daily/weekly scheduling and flexibility!

Thanks Kayrenee. I printed MOH samples and read them over. I don't think my kids would want to listen to this. They are still very young though . Since we did American history (vs Adventures) and I am planning to use A child's geography with Considering God's creation for next year, (vs ECC) we cannot use MFW until CTG so I will probably try that when my oldest will be in 4th grade.
Thanks for helping me planning.HAppy Thanksgiving.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions