Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Odyssey Ware online classes.. Any info anyone??

Odyssey Ware online classes.. Any info anyone??

I just found this, and I can't see any sample classes. Does anyone know anything at all about this? Thanks!

re: Odyssey Ware online classes.. Any info anyone??

The only thing I've heard about OdysseyWare is that it is the secular version of SOS, so I would think that the interface would be similar. (And I'm not even 100% sure of that.)

The last time I heard from them, their classes were not available directly to homeschoolers. You can get them through Elkhart Cyber School (http://www.onlineecs.org/vnews/display.v/ART/466071bd2ffa8).

Audrey :)

Oddseyware online provides coursework all the way through high school. I believe it is available through schools and is often used for credit recovery. Some online schools base their curriculum on OW. I am a teacher at one of those schools, these are my thoughts.

First the good:

Odysseyware provides a complete curriculum. If you are looking for something that covers the standards and benchmarks, then this is it.

User friendly. The course management tools available for teachers are easy to use. There is some clunkiness to getting around the site, but it is all very intuitive.

Account friendly. Schools purchase a set number of licenses and that determines how many ports are available at one time. It is not necessary to purchase a separate license for each student unless you expect all your students to be online at the same time.

Messaging System. There is an internal message system that is fairly easy to use and accessible.

The bad:
Not very customizable. You have a great video or online activity you want to share? OW doesn't really offer that kind of compatability. There is a "special project" that is somewhat customizable, but it is awkward to fit that in. You can customize units by skipping certain items, but you can't really add to it.

Glitchy. A particularly bothersome glitch that OW is unable or unwilling to resolve is a problem with student browsers timing out during test or quiz sessions. It is very difficult to get fair assessments of a student's mastery with this glitch. This has only affected OW since the 2010-2011 school year due to new policies.

Unhelpful Customer Support. The answer is usually "user error". Get used to it.

Inadequate use of available technology. OW is very text based and makes little use of available resources either through development or whatever is available on the web. There are some interactives, but limited and usually too simplistic. It is almost like handing a student a textbook and saying "here, learn this." There is great stuff available on the web now and OW is failing to keep up.

Questions. The questions tend to be multiple choice and there is actually quite a lot of true/false. True/false is ridiculous because if you set a pass threshold of, say, 60%, on the second go around, the student just changes their wrong T/F answer the correct answer. They didn't have to learn anything to do that. I would like to see more fill in the blank and short answers (which are graded by the teacher). Overall, I would say the questions need to be entirely revamped (not so true for math, especially the Geometry and Algebra II which has a better format for entering answers). OW curriculum developers need to study more on what makes for good questions in terms of assessment.

Overall, potential customers should keep shopping. Maybe OW fits you well, but don't take a first glance and land here. Keep looking.

Odyssey ware is very good, but use it through a school for credits. A school can customize it- to make it more Christian-Friendly, yet college preparatory.

check out highschool-online.com

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions