Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

First Grade- World History? Geography?

First Grade- World History? Geography?

My daughter is in K right now. Just dipping in my feet to start pulling stuff together for her first grade year. This year we are piecing together everything from various resources.

I believe that in the early grades there doesn't need to be a dogmatic approach to all subjects. But I do want to expose her and eventually my son to more than just the 3 Rs.

I definitely do not want to do US history for 1st. Would a world history program be better. Or would a geography and culture program work better in 1st and then do world history in 2nd?

Please tell me what programs you'd recommend. Thanks.

re: First Grade- World History? Geography?

Hey...when my son was in first grade we started with an Early American history program from "Beautiful Feet". Its a really good program...check it out! Hope that helps!!:)
TerriBelle.

For 1st grade and not US History, it would probably be lots of fun to do a "Countries of the World" study. I am sure you would be able to find a unit study online somewhere. Or just pick a dozen countries and have kiddo color in maps, make a food from that country, do dress up, read books about it from the library. (Can you tell I like to design my own stuff?).

My older kids did something like this in public school in 1st grade and it was lots of fun.

If you are just looking for something to add in for enrichment to what you already have, you might want to try one concept from Moving Beyond the Page. We are doing the "Cultures" concept from the 6-8 year-old group. There's map work and my dd likes the Cinderella stories from around the world. There are different levels of the same worksheet in the student book so you can pick the one that your dc could complete at their level and still participate in the concept. We do this once or twice a week or if time allows. www.MovingBeyondthePage.com

Look at Five in a Row if you haven't already.

Other than that recommendation, I'd say just read books to your child and not do a program.

We used and loved Five in a Row with my oldest at that age. You would only need to add phonics and math:

http://www.fiveinarow.com/

With my youngest, we'll be using MFW 1st grade later in the fall. It's complete with all subjects, but some people like to add a simple math workbook (math in MFW 1st is hands-on) or other full math program. MFW does offer an optional math workbook if you want it.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/1st.htm

Another idea might be Cantering the Country (U.S. geography) or Galloping the Globe (world geography):

http://www.geomatters.com/products/details.asp?ID=75

I can tell you what I've finally ended up with for our first grade year.

1. We are reading lots of literature from Ambleside Online Year 1. I've quit following their schedule. We all found it frustrating to read one chapter of a book and then wait a week to read another. So, we're reading a chapter or two at a time of one or two books. This has some great stuff like "Paddle to the Sea" which gives us opportunity to look at maps. We found Lake Superior today and traced the boat's path.

2. I bought Abeka grade 1 science and "social studies" used. They are both quick, short books. The science is designed to be done December, January (something like that) and the social studies for a couple of months after that. So, they are "leveled." We've already started the science and it's giving dd a great opportunity to practice her reading while giving her a quick overview of science/social studies. The social studies is a quickly goes over 19 countries on different continents, the main U.S. symbols, a few major U.S. historical happenings, general U. S. geography, etc... We will likely finish both of these up by Christmas and then I'll figure out where to go next. We may start in on SOTW 1 (ancient history) since I already have it.

Although, in general, I like the classical model of going deeper into fewer topics. These books are a good way to kill 2 birds (quick overview and develop fluency) with one stone.

This post was edited on Sep 08, 2009 04:00 PM

We started out my older dd's 1st grade year with Sonlight Core C (now called core K again), and I was too bogged down. So then we switched over to FIAR which was great.

This year I'm doing history/geography for an advanced K dd and 2nd grade dd. We started out using SL Core K again (but I stalled at the same spot I was in the year before) then did some FIAR and some varying unit studies.

Right now I've settled into using a textbook by Abeka for both girls for history and do it as a read aloud two times per week. We do coloring books with it, read some fun facts in the "smart about" series and a few other fun things. We also use the book material world to do world geography/culture once a week.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions