Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Are homeschooled kids healthier?

re: Are homeschooled kids healthier?

I dont' know if "statistically" home schooled kids are healthier.

however, parents that home school probably tend to be the type of parents who would be more diligent with a child's health ANYWAY..by mere virtue of the fact that one chooses to keep his or her children home for school.

For instance, when our older kids attended public school (elementary grades) and later Catholic high school, they were VERY HEALTHY (thank goodness!). However, I"m also the type of mom who doesn't send her kids to school when they are sick, and I kept them home as long as they needed to be home. So, I just tend to be a careful mom anyway, and that resulted in healthy kids..:)

So, i dont' really think it's public school or home school that impacts overall childhood health. I think it's parental attitudes toward health..and by and large, home school parents "tend" to be more health conscious and careful in this respect. (this is my 1 minute assessment of the original question.. :) :)

I guess it depends on the child. My son has asthma, and many things can set it off. If he does get a cold or have allergy problems, these can also affect his asthma. He's more healthy now than when he was younger. Before age 2, he was hospitalized twice. He also had strep all the time, until his tonsils were removed. Now, he tends to get strep about twice a year. He is very susceptible to strep. My dd can ge exposed to strep and not get it at all.

My kids were never in day care. We even tend to not go to church when different illnesses are spreading. Swine flu is going around here now w/many kids out of school. If any of the kids in the children or youth dept at church get it, we'll stop going for a while.

I think we have healthy habits, and we try to avoid illnesses. I do know that there are many ps kids that are very healthy and never miss a day. I have relatives w/perfect attendance for many years. We are down to usually 2 or 3 sick visits per year per child.

pcm

There's been a ton of research in this area. On average kiddos who attend an institution, i.e. daycare or school get about twice as many illnesses as those who don't attend an institution.

My 6 yr old and my 4 yr old have never been to the clinic for the past two years, while their best friends who go to school get sick and see their doctors quite a few times a year.
I love it when my kids are healthy!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions