Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Abeka Highschool Science

Abeka Highschool Science

Sorry for all the questions lately!

How do you feel about Abeka Highschool Science without DVD's?

Is it easy enough to understand for both mom and student?

I've read so much about Apologia, but my kids prefer Abeka, but wondering about "science" and if we will understand it

re: Abeka Highschool Science

WEll, it does make it much easier with the DVD's since the labs are incorporated into the lessons. But if you want to, you can order just the DVD lab demonstrations. Two of the three required sciences must have labs.

After seeing the expense of the DVD sets and the experiment kits, we went with Apologia instead.

At our state convention I did peek at the Abeka texts. I like the look of them, but needed something written for the homeschool environment with labs that didn't require spending hundreds more for materials.

If money is no object and your kids enjoy Abeka, then you might want to stay with it.

Jen

you can do abeka physical science without dvd's. i would NOT RECOMMEND trying to teach Biology, Chemistry, or Physics unless you are a science educator yourself. I have alot of science background (RN, MSN) and it's too much for me..not academically, but just alot of information..beyond my scope of every day knowledge. I think the DVD classes at $340 each are worth every penny. they include EVERYTHING.

We will be doing A Beka's Physical Science for 9th grade next year. We purchased the lab demo DVD for pretty cheap on ebay. I also bought all of our books there. So for under $100, we will be using A Beka for 9th. I would love to continue with A Beka throughout HS using their DVD teachers for just Science, but with the $350 or so times 4 children, that will get quite costly. So we are opting to go with ACE's DVD program that you purchase to KEEP for BIO and CHEM. I'll be able to reuse these for 3 more children, and all I will need to purchase is more Paces. Cathy Duffy gives these ACE programs good reviews, BTW, and I'm banking on that. :) I prefer to have most of our labs demonstrated by someone who knows what they are doing and will do it with "passion"...(not me :). [I don't even like to cook...I know..."city-girl"!] I'm sure we'll do a few here and there on our own, like maybe dissecting some simple creatures of some sort...outside, during the summer... I also plan to have a microscope in our homeschool supplies here sometime soon just to "play" around with. But as for the intense labwork...that will be guided by a "professional" for us via those convenient DVDs!! :)

Just to clarify...my A Beka lab demos DVD I get to keep. If you do their Academy program, those are rental year by year only. The ACE DVDS are for keeps!

Nancy

Nancy, when you say you got all you need for Abeka 9th for under $100, that doesn't include all the lab supplies needed, right?

I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the high school science thing. I went with Apologia for Physical because I didn't want to end up skipping any labs because we didn't have/couldn't afford the items needed. KWIM? The Abeka just looked so expensive compared to Apologia, and I assume there is no Abeka teacher's manual/lap options written for homeschoolers?

Jen

there are minimal labs for physical science, to my recollection.

That's right martinbeef! We just finished 9th grade physical science. Although we did the DVD's, there are few labs. I also don't see the need for purchasing these expensive lab kits as most of the items are easily found at hardware/discount stores. You can purchase them as you go.

I will also say that we did Apologia General and Physical sciences, and most of the experiments either did not work or they were repetition of what we had used for BJU 1st-6th grade sciences.

I agree with martinbeef's earlier post. $340 for the Abeka DVD higher level sciences is really worth it. I don't necessarily think this is needed until the levels such as Biology, Chemistry, etc.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions