Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CLE Reading vs Pathway Readers vs Bob Jones

CLE Reading vs Pathway Readers vs Bob Jones

I used the Pathway Readers last year for a struggling reader and they were perfect. A joy. This year, 3rd grade, we used Bob Jones 3 Reading because I had it already. Very good program, and ds was thinking that maybe he would like a variety of stories instead of the "farm country" ones in Pathways. Well, he has not enjoyed reading this year nearly as much.

So, I'm thinking of going back to Pathway Readers. However, I read a lot here that the CLE Reading is similar, but really good. I have the BJU 4 Reading already, so it's still an option since it's a thorough program.

Could you please tell me your thoughts of CLE Reading vs Pathway Readers vs BJU? I have never seen a CLE Reader so I don't know how judge. Thanks so much for your help!!

re: CLE Reading vs Pathway Readers vs Bob Jones

We love the Pathway Readers just for pleasure reading. I've not ever used it as a reading curriculum but their readers are great and we enjoy them.

I've not used CLE so I can't comment on that but from what I read here on HSR, it sounds similar to BJU.

We have used BJU Reading this year and LOVED it. The Grade 4 has a Western theme and my son and daughter both loved it. My son (who is not a fan of reading) now says reading is his favorite subject. It was a huge hit and we are all looking fwd to Reading 5 w/ BJU. We continue to use the Pathway readers for leisure reading.

Praising Him,
Kim
www.homeschoolblogger.com/blessed2bamommy

We have used both CLE and Pathways reading, and I like them both. (I'm a big help, huh?) ;-)

They are both great programs, but they area bit different.
I guess it depends on what you are looking for from a reading program.

The Pathways readers focus mainly on one family, and their life on a farm. The stories are wholesome and they teach morals by their interactions with one another and their animals, but there is no mention of God in the books (that I have noticed.)

The workbooks deal mostly with phonics (learning through sounds,) working with words (vocabulary) and thinking about the story (reading comprehension.)
The workbooks have exercises like fill in the blank, underlining, etc - and they have no color and very little illustrations.

CLE is different. The stories are about many different themes - not just one family - but they also teach many Christian values/morals. ( God/faith is definitely mentioned in the CLE books.)

The workbooks/light units have a lot more 'meat' than the pathways ones. (They are also more colorful/illustrated, too.)
They cover more topics (poetry, figures of speech, Bible verses that relate to the story, character/plot analysis, glossary words, reference books, and a LOT more.)
It is definitely more 'in-depth' than Pathways.

Sometimes - simple is best though.
Pathways works great for my son, (who needs more phonics review) and CLE works better for my DD.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Your comments really help. I kinda figured that all three programs were really good, just different.

I'm not sure that I know what I'm going to do, but I now have a better idea of what the differences are.

Thanks, again!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions