Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MFW or HOD anyone used one or both?

MFW or HOD anyone used one or both?

I am trying to decide on MFW or HOD. Anyone ever used either of these curriculum? I have a 1st and 2nd grader. Any info will be helpful. I am really having a hard time deciding. I think thats the hardest part of homeschooling is picking out the curriculum. To much to choose from:)

Thanks

re: MFW or HOD anyone used one or both?

I've used MFWK, part of 1st and Adventures and HOD Beyond so this info goes by what I've used.

Bible:
MFW reads more from the bible. Bible verses straight from the bible and contains a bit longer verses.
HOD uses shorter verses and I believe once a week or so you'll read a few verses from the bible. The verses go with the rest of the program in that it shows application. I loved this because kids are more able to understand it if they can apply it.

Science is basically the same, but HOD isn't studied by any unit of information, but by the history read. One day could be the ocean shelf, the next could be weather. MFW works more by short units. A week or two. They both have activities that are utilized by homemade items, but HOD is easier. It has less oddball home items you need to keep. Some science experiments are book experiments in MFW. I found HOD easier, but I didn't like the different subject matter daily. That's just a personal preference. I enjoyed the activities better in HOD than in MFW.

History, HOD goes by living books and for the most part goes from one book beginning to end. A bit less of snippet reading than MFW, but they're pretty much the same. They both utilize Pioneers & Patriots book, but the rest are different.

HOD will have an Art day and MFW utilizes an Art book. My personal preference was HOD's art.

For both you can use your own math or theirs. I think they both recommend Singapore, but for MFW it's not till after MFW1st. For both you can use your own LA or theirs. And for HOD you can use their phonics or your own. MFW 1st has it's own phonics which moves quick and is pretty much done in one year.

MFW1st is mostly biblical. The reader is the bible reader where HOD has a lot of other books to choose from that you buy with the program. After MFW1st, Adventures has a book basket for more reading that are recommendations that you can buy or just go to the library.

I thought HOD was fun. I think they're both great programs, but it'll depend on your teaching and your child's learning abilities. It may be easier to combine your kids in HOD than MFW mainly because MFW1st is really a big phonics program. If you're not going to learn to read then MFW1st isn't what you want. That's the gist of the program. If you compare History in MFW Adventures vs Beyond, Beyond is more events and Bigger is more biographical. Adventures is an overview of all with a big state study.

I'm sure more will chime in with other info.

I was looking strongly at MFW, Sonlight, and HOD. In the end after LOTS of research I decided to go with HOD. The thing that finally helped me make my decision was actually ordering the HOD catalog. I just could not get a good "feel" for HOD until I had the catalog in my hands. The website did not give me a clear picture! I have now been using HOD for a month and it has blown me away. It is the most open and go curriculum out there!!!! Truely EVERYTHING you need you will have on hand and NO prep! Everything with HOD seems to flow seemlessly together. I have not used MFW, so I can't give an accurate assecement there, but I have heard that it is perhaps a bit more disjointed. I love how with HOD the history, science, art, etc are all very much tied together. My vote would be hands down for HOD. However, I do know that there are many people out there being blessed by MFW. Hopefully some of those people will chime in and share what they love about MFW as well. And even better if you can find more people who have used both! Oh, and I have been using LHFHG. You will likely be looking at either LHFHG or BLHFHG if you go with HOD.

Hi,
I'm using Beyond this year, and we absolutely LOVE it! I am finished looking at any other curricula. However, I've not used MFW, but I did look at it pretty extensively last year. If you go to the HOD forum and do a search for MFW, you will find many helpful posts from previous MFW users who are able to compare and contrast the two programs. I hope you are able to come to peace with a decision. Of course, my vote is for HOD.
hth,
Laura

MFW Adventures is a one-year overview of American history, studying the key events and people of our country, patriotic songs and symbols, the 50 states/geographic overview, the state birds (part of science), the names and characteristics of Jesus, and science goes along with the names of Jesus (Bread of Life, Living Water, etc.) This program is intended for families where the *oldest* child is 2nd or 3rd grade and reading well on their own. Then American history is done again later, only much more in-depth and spread over two years (Exploration-1850 and 1850-Modern Times).

The TM of each year of MFW (after 1st grade) contains a booklist of 300-400 titles which are optional. All the required reading is included in the package that you purchase, then you add gravy to the meat and potatoes from the Book Basket list.

The pp is right in that the main focus of MFW K and 1st is phonics/reading/language arts AND Bible. Hands-on math and science, along with title suggestions for living books for math and science, are included in those years. Here's a link to a very recent discussion about the 1st grade program in particular:

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=58704

After using Adventures in 2nd grade, you would then go to ECC (Exploring Countries & Cultures), which is a world geography & culture study of people and lands, with an emphasis on missions.

The chronological history cycle begins after ECC, so about 4th grade. Bible is very closely tied with history in all programs.

I always recommend that people considering MFW (and HOD, too) go to the website and print out the sample lessons from all the years of the programs, then read through them in order. This will help you to get a birds-eye view of not only the current year that you're considering, but future years so that you can see where the curriculum will take you, and how each year builds upon the previous year. And as always, pray about it and talk about it with your dh, too. Better yet, try to get to a homeschool convention where you can get your hands on the materials!

If you have the new MFW catalog, you might want to turn to page 16 and take a look at the conference CD titles which were VERY helpful to me in understanding their overall philosophy... the Big Picture of what we would get out of using MFW through the years. My dh listened to them as well.

All of MFW elementary is complete, and two years of high school are complete. HOD elementary isn't yet finished. I don't know that she's going to write a high school curriculum, but your kids are young, so you still have lots of time to think that far ahead. :o)

Following is a link to a recent discussion where comparisons were made between MFW and HOD... my honest opinion is that both are wonderful programs. They're similar, yet different, and I think they could complement each other very well. In fact, I'm considering combining HOD's "Preparing" (a one-year overview of world history) with MFW ECC next year. It's the best of both worlds, IMO. ;o)

MFW isn't perfect, but it is, and I think always will be our "base". Every time I've looked around at something else, I come back to MFW because it has the *majority* of everything I need and want in a curriculum, and I've used it long enough now that I know where to tweak the areas that bug me. But, every homeschool mom should be doing that no matter WHAT curriculum she uses. I think it's just natural.

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=57767

Quote: "It is the most open and go curriculum out there!!!! Truely EVERYTHING you need you will have on hand and NO prep! Everything with HOD seems to flow seemlessly together."

Yes it is. Unfortunately my dd just hated, hated, hated, the history and without it, the rest got lost. It was so good. I LOVED it. Unfortunately it has to work for both of us. And p.s. there's nothing wrong with the history. She just gets hugely lost with history read alouds. (I have to add how bummed I was!!!) We've opted to finish MfW. Both are great programs and yes,HOD is much more open and go. No planning. Really!

This post was edited on Apr 05, 2009 10:07 AM

I have used both and they're both very good but different. The thing I like about HOD is that she makes the CM method very doable for us. I loved the first month or so of MFW but after that, it was just too much and dd was crying every day in school. It wasn't fun and that's not how I wanted it to be.

Also my SN son does best with HOD as it's more in bite size chunks that I can split up throughout the day, if needed. With MFW, I felt as though I was doing lots of flipping around or that if I didn't do everything back to back, we'd get behind and lost.

So far, the only experience we've had with MFW is K and 1st and HOD LHTH, LHGHF, Bigger and some Bigger. As the children get older, we may switch to MFW, but we'll see.

What drew me to HOD after trying MFW, CLE, AO, Liberty, ACE, Abeka (I've tried a lot) is that I wanted something that was more unified, CM, academic, and fun for a creativity challenged and busy Mama. HOD just fits the bill for us.

"Also my SN son does best with HOD as it's more in bite size chunks that I can split up throughout the day, if needed. With MFW, I felt as though I was doing lots of flipping around or that if I didn't do everything back to back, we'd get behind and lost.
So far, the only experience we've had with MFW is K and 1st and HOD LHTH, LHGHF, Bigger and some Bigger. As the children get older, we may switch to MFW, but we'll see.
What drew me to HOD after trying MFW, CLE, AO, Liberty, ACE, Abeka (I've tried a lot) is that I wanted something that was more unified, "
--------------------------------------------

Just wanting to explain something after reading the pp's post.... The TMs for MFW K and 1st are very different than all the other years. They're laid out a little different because of the phonics and learning-to-read aspect that necessarily dictates a different layout than the history TMs do. You might want to take a look at the other years and not just base your opinion of the entire program on one or two years. Each year has a slightly different "feel" to it, and something very unique.

As a matter of fact, I'll link a thread where this was just discussed a couple of weeks ago... not specifically about K and 1st grade, but about struggling and how each year of MFW is very unique. And again, I reiterate the encouragement to read through sample lessons of ALL the years of MFW, not just one or two, and to read through the message boards (archives, especially) and/or call the office with any questions or concerns.

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7366

In the end, I realize that MFW isn't going to be a good fit for *everyone*. I just wanted to clarify that the TMs in other years are different than K and 1st. I empathize with the "flipping back and forth" style of those two years.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions