Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Writing with Ease reccomended, but it's pricey--other writing suggestions?

Writing with Ease reccomended, but it's pricey--other writing suggestions?

Hey all,
Writing has been a bust this year for us. I don't know where to go from here because we need basics, thorough, simple, but definitely basics. Ds is going to be 10 next year and dd is 8. Writing with Ease by Susan Wise Bauer has been recommneded, but to buy the book and workbooks will cost more than I'd like. I've tried Writing Strands and looked into IEW, but it too is pricey. I don't need grammar since we are using Easy Grammar-so I'm really looking for just a writing curriculum. If anyone can give me good reasons to shell out the moola for WWE, I'd like to hear them. Or, if you tried WWE and didn't like it, I'd like to hear that too. Thanks!

re: Writing with Ease reccomended, but it's pricey--other writing suggestions?

Well, which book would you be wanting to buy. You don't need the textbook. The texbook is just the methodology with samples on how to use your own writing samples and not have to buy a workbook.

The workbook is all the work done for you and it's just wala, here's the sheet, do the copywork, and now I'll read this little story and you will answer some questions and then give me a small narration.

Would you need to start with the very beginning, because the first book is basic copywork and narration.

Let me know...

Dee

I don't use a writing curriculum right now, but have been looking at Write with the Best.

http://www.edudps.com/WWTB.html

Well,
If you like the looks of WWE, my suggestion is this: check out the WTM (well trained mind) book from your library. She gives the basic idea of WWE in there. I used that to figure out how to do narration, copywork and dictation. I bought the WWE workbook off someone and realised that I'm already doing exactly the same thing, so I sold my copy (you can find the workbook much cheaper, like $20 or so on the wtm forums 'for sale' board). If you still need more help, get the book (also look for it used). The workbook is all layed out which is nice, but if you're doing readalouds for lit. or history or science or whatever, it's so simple to do it yourself, I wouldn't spend the money on the workbook. JMO. ;)

Meaningful Composition is a good step-by-step writing program that is very clearly laid out. It may be more than you want to spend as well but it is good.

http://www.tfths.com/comp.php

Since I would HIGHLY recommend WWE, let me explain the cost. If you have a child in Levels 1-3, ALL you need is the workbook. The level 3 workbook is not out yet, but will be shipping in August. You can get any of the workbooks for 23.07 from Amazon. I purchased WWE 2 workbook for my second grader this year. The way the book is set up, the first section is the everything the parent needs to teach the course. All of the literature selections are printed there as well as the scripted lessons if you are so inclined. Very easy to follow. The second half of the book is the consumable part for the child. The copyright allows for copies to be made of that part for use within the family. Since I have 2 youngers, I tore out all of the consumable pages and scanned them for use later. I had the front section spiral bound at an office store so it would last. For me, I paid (including the price of the binding) $27.00 for a 2nd grade writing program for 3 kiddos:) If you only have one child that will use this, I probably wouldn't bother binding the teacher part, so $23 for the workbook. For what it's worth, it is an excellent program! Hope this helps!

Coleen

Wow, thanks for the responses. I have heard such great things about WWE, that I think I would LIKE to try it, but it is great to know that all I *NEED* is the workbooks.

Colleen, my kids are not really great spellers (thanks to AAS, we're gettin there) hence, we haven't done a lot of dictation and have just been too distracted with other things to do a lot of copy work. Do you think starting with Level One would be too basic for a third and fourth grader, or is this one of those cases where it would be better to start at the beginning but move more quickly or skip somethings rather than move ahead. (Others can comment besides Colleen--just remembered her name and comments since that was the last one I read! LOL)

Level 1 is only copy work and narration. Dictation does not start until level 2.
The book includes six weeks of sample lessons for level 1, 2, 3, and 4. So, because your children are older you may want to just buy the book now.
They could do six weeks of level 1 and six weeks of level 2. Then, if they are doing well with that, you could buy the level 3 workbook in August and have them do the whole 36 weeks from the workbook.
Also, you just need to buy one workbook and copy it for your 2nd student, or just have your children work in a separate notebook.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions