Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: Classical Conversations HIGHLY endorsed by veteran homeschool mom (16 yrs.)

Classical Conversations HIGHLY endorsed by veteran homeschool mom (16 yrs.)

I MUST brag on Classical Conversations - my enthusiasm level is just through the roof! I've been homeschooling for sixteen years - homeschooled our four children up until 6th grade. After that, we've used a three-day-a-week University Model School during the high school years. Our oldest, a daughter, is now a junior in college, the second child, also a daughter, is a freshman in college; our 15 yr. old son is a high school freshman (currently attending the three-day-a-week University Model School), and our last is still at home full-time - he and I are in fifth grade together. Over the years I've put together my favorite materials and have refined and fine-tuned what works for our family. We've produced two National Merit students (one a Commended, one a Finalist), we may have a third - we'll have two more years before he's eligible to "place" as a hs junior. The last child, the 11 yr. old, is still too far out from the test to know... The University Model School we used, after full-time homeschooling our children, was so favorably impressed with our children that they asked me to consult with them regarding a literature-based history/English program. They also welcomed my input when implementing the use of IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing) as a school-wide curriculum. That all being said, oh, how I wish that I'd known about Classical Conversations way back in 1992! I am so very impressed with what Classical Conversations offers. I can't sing their praises enough. CC holds one-day-a-week tutoring sessions for homeschooling families to come together in a classroom with a trained tutor to see how it looks to learn using the classical tools: recitation/memorization, Socratic discussion, and persuasive rhetoric. After seeing the tutor model "how it looks," the homeschooling parent takes that model home and implements the model to whatever degree/depth the family chooses. Ultimately, the parent is in charge. It's a wonderful time of students and parents learning together during the weekly tutor sessions. The levels taught are: Foundations K-6th, Essentials 3rd-6th, Challenge 7th-12th. In the primary level, Foundations, six subjects are covered: English, Latin, History, Math, Science, and Geography, AND there are also two thirty minute sessions included to allow for hands-on activities in science and fine arts. Essentials for 3rd-6th presents grammar and writing (the writing instruction is with IEW materials). Classical Conversations was the brain child of a rocket scientist - literally. Rocket scientist, turned mother, turned home-educator. Because of Classical Conversations, I may finally realize my dream of feeling equipped and supported in the process of home-educating a child all the way through the high school years. The motto of CC is "to know God and make Him known." I've been VERY impressed with what my 11-yr. old and I have learned in our first year with CC. I'm finally beginning to feel smart!

For those readers in Tennessee, I just learned that there will be information meetings tomorrow in your state in the Memphis area. If you happen to live within driving distance of the locations listed below, I highly urge you to attend. Information meetings were just held in MS and AL, so it looks like groups will be starting in those states by fall. But back to tomorrow's meetings in TN...the Asst. National Director, Greg Stockton, is holding Information Meetings about Classical Conversations at the following locations:
Wednesday, March 4
Barnes & Noble – Wolf Chase Galleria
2774 N. Germantown Parkway
Memphis, TN 38113
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Barnes & Noble – Hickory Ridge II
Hickory Ridge Pavillion
6385 Winchester Blvd
Memphis, TN 38115
Cafe Seating Area
1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Barnes & Noble – Carriage Crossing
4610 Merchant’s Park Circle, suite 52
Collierville, TN 38017
Café Seating Area
6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
To RSVP for any of the events please email Greg at: sstockton@classicalconversations.com RSVP is helpful, but not mandatory for attending. For more information about Classical Conversations (CC), please visit www.classicalconversations.com

There’s also an opportunity to listen to Leigh's BlogTalkRadio Show tomorrow at noon (Central) – she’ll be interviewing Rea Berg from Beautiful Feet Books. See the link below to listen in at noon tomorrow:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/1SmartMama/2009/03/04/Leigh-for-Lunch-with-Rea-Berg-of-Beautiful-Feet-Books

This post was edited on Mar 04, 2009 07:37 AM

re: Classical Conversations HIGHLY endorsed by veteran homeschool mom (16 yrs.)

If anyone attends the info meeting today in Tennessee, please let me know - I want to know if I had any effect with my words. I DO care passionately about CC and want to see it available wherever possible. Homeschooling can be a very taxing job for a mom; I see this as such a supportive program. I've known about classically educating for almost all of my sixteen years of home-educating my children, but could never figure out how to make it work without it being overwhelming. Being in CC has been such a breakthrough for my last homeschooler and myself. I only regret that I didn't have a CC Community from the early years onward.

This post was edited on Mar 04, 2009 07:43 AM

re: Classical Conversations HIGHLY endoresed by veteran homeschool mom (16 yrs.)

Lorilee, thank you for your explanation. I will look into the new CC that's opening up in my area for next year.

re: re: Classical Conversations HIGHLY endorsed by veteran homeschool mom (16 yrs.)

Hi. I'm trying to get one started in Brevard County, FLA. I love CC too, but I have been doing it at home since I am not near a CC community. Thank you for your glowing review. Anyone in Brevard County looking for an info meeting, let me know! E

re: re: Classical Conversations HIGHLY endorsed by veteran homeschool mom (16 yrs.)

What exactly is CC? Is it a writing program? Sorry for sounding dense, I just didn't get it and had never heard of it?

I'm looking into this myself. I've been praying about how to give my children more community and keep them interested in homeschooling as they get older. Also, I am feeling the need for more accountability as I have trouble with structure and with feeling wholly inadequate. I am sensing that this might be what we need. A friend of mine is quite enthusiastic after her involvement this past year.

My main concern right now is: How much work is involved? Did you find it difficult to keep up with the memorization? I really enjoy reading aloud to my children. I would be terribly disappointed if we didn't have time for our "living books" approach that we are currently using.

What if you want to do your own math?

You do your own math. In 7th-12th grade, saxon is used, but you do not have to participate in that class and use something else. CC is just a tool to help you. YOU are still in charge of your child's education. You can have them do as much or as little as you like. HTH.
e

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions