Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

History Revealed- Diana Waring...did you enjoy?

History Revealed- Diana Waring...did you enjoy?

Oh- this looks so engaging, but yet do I want all that for ancient civ study. Diana is so passionate about her work that it feels contagious, but looking at the family pack (CBD.com)- is it overkill?

I am looking for 7th grade, would just the CD's be good?
Your thoughts on the workbook/guide...

My head just spins (in a good way-ha!) from trying to decide what to use for world history..
Diana Waring
SOTW
MOH....oh boy....

I am only see to up-t-date- reviews and now that she is teaming with answersingenesis....I am sure the improvements make it even better...

We LOVE american history, but I will be honest, world history doesn't make me want to put my bunny slippers on....any ideas at all...would love to hear them...
THANKS!

re: History Revealed- Diana Waring...did you enjoy?

for a 7th grader I would think SOTW too young...but maybe not...but I like it better than MOH...I just don't care for MOH..too dry and boring...just skims...

I'm not familiar with your other choice.

jules

"bunny slippers"...that's funny!

I'd be interested in knowing people's responses to these CDs as well. I think HOD has them scheduled in their new Ancient's year that they just posted. I've thought of buying them just for supplemental purposes.

BTW, I have a DS who will be using A Beka's 7th grade world history book next year, and it looks very interesting. I think it's so good that I went and sold my MOH. I love the color, organization, built in time lines, review questions, Biblical content, etc. It gives a broad scope from Creation to the present, and in combo with the the mapping books, has them doing map work for the Eastern Hemisphere. It would make a superb spine for someone wanting to stretch it out with living books, IMO.

Nancy

I have used the 2 new DW guides (TM, wkbk, and cds) and we love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We loved the older ones, but these are fantastic!

I don't find the wkbk to be overkill in anyway. In them you will find the maps, the articles, and projects. At first glance the whole thing can look overwhelming, but once you see the layout and realize that you are not to do everything then it all clicks, and you see just how easy it is to use. I will try to help you *see* the layout as scheduled in the TG, but we didn't always follow the schedule. I also added a hx fic book or two to be spread out over the unit:

Each of the 9 monthly units have 4 weekly phases. The units begin with the article. This is the foundation for the history.

Phase 1
Mon:
~~discuss Key concepts
Tue:
~~Read article (we usually divide this over 2 days)
~~cd tracts assigned
~~scriptures assigned (we spread this over the month)
Wed:
~~Recap activity
~~Opinion Column and Critical Puzzling
Thur:
Class Discussion
Fri:
Chose resources
All of phase one should be done as it is the foundation.

Phase 2
Mon-Tue:
~~The student chooses a research assignment
Wed:
~~Vocab practice
Thur:
~~Timeline
Fri:
~~Share research projects

Phase 3
Mon:
~~Mapping
Tue:
~~Research art and architecture (we always googled this)
Wed:
~~Choose an art project
Thur:
~~Do science project or field trip
Fri:
~~Listen to Music and cook recipe

Phase 4 (this week wraps up the unit nicely)
Mon-Thur:
~~Choose expression activity (many categories to choose from)
Fri:
~~Share creative expression activity

Diana includes activities of all sorts so that there is always something that will appeal to everyone. Research and writing assignments take on different flavors, student chooses which topic attracts him the most and digs, art projects vary greatly too. If you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions