Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Pac Works Science

Pac Works Science

Evolution, creation or neutral?

re: Pac Works Science

Hmm, it's written to be "neutral," but it's obvious that the author is a young-earth creationist. The author of most of them is John Hudson Tiner of the Exploring the World of series.

Jennifer

One of the things I like about PAC science is the high values that are taught. I would call them nuetral to creationist. From the biology intro: "The study of biology is not without controversy among scientists whose personal belief systems influence interpretation of data. Some scientists draw conclusions and proclaim theories as fact without subjecting their theories to comprehensive application of scientific method of observation of data.... This course argues the point that hypotheses should be pronounced as theories and theories should be proclaimed as fact only after having been subjected to the scientific method in which data provides indisputable validation of the theories."
Though we personally believe in creation by God, I think it is important for our children to learn the theory of evolution, even though we don't believe it.

The new anatomy and physiology course is great, showing what a wonderful creation the human body is. The reproductive system is presented very well, with mention of abstinence as the best choice (no mention of any b.c.): "...abstinence until marriage (and loyalty to your mate afterwards) is a wise choice -- an act of moral courage and self-restraint that is the only true 'safe s**'. This allows both the man and woman to enter marriage with mutual respect and a clean conscience in anticipation of a life-long, satisfying marriage."

The head of PAC is a wonderful Christian man. Go to pacworks.com and you can read about him and how this curriculum was developed. I spoke with him recently, and he said that the World History course would probably be done in a year or two. You can call him and ask any questions.

I just want to add that Mr. Johnson has also been more than happy to respond by email to questions that I had for him about the PAC curriculum.

Susan

It is neutral, but it comes across, at least to me and my family, that the author is definitely, unbashedly, Christian. :)

JMHO,

Dee

My daughter is doing PAC subjects this year. Science is her favorite subject this year- She is doing the Basic Science Mysteries.
We have raised her to know that God is the creator.

Today she was working on lesson two of chapter four. It is titled: Life on Earth. She was so excited to learn the whys and hows of science.

I wanted her to learn all sides of the issues. What I like is that PAC teaches the different thoughts on "how life began" as THEORIES. The two basic being 1) Plan and Purpose and 2) Evolution and Natural Selection.

She learned sub theories of evolution-like organic evolution. She read of natural selection and learned about the theory of macroevolution.

She learned how scientists collect evidence and make hypothesis.

She learned today of how scientists look for imperical data to support or reject hypothesis.

She learned of laws like heredity,biogenisis,thermodynamics(energy and entropy,) and how research is based on laws which are true and absolute.

She learned how the theories measure up to the laws already established.

I am well pleased with what she is learning.

This post was edited on Feb 25, 2009 04:10 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions