Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Foreign Language Program for High School

Foreign Language Program for High School

My son will be in 9th grade next year and it is time to start up the whole "Foreign Language" thing :P He wants to take Spanish, which makes the most sense, I guess. I'm open to curriculum suggestions - but not Rosetta Stone, please. I've previewed the CD and researched the program and have read many reviews and know that we won't be going with it. Other than that, let me have it with the suggestions :) Thanks!

Tami

re: Foreign Language Program for High School

My dd did Spanish 1 and 2 with Abeka DVD. The teacher is really good.

We're using the Learnables for Spanish this year with my 10th dd.

I majored in Spanish in college and started learning it in 7th grade. IMO, ABeka is the most thorough, systematic language program for Spanish that I've seen. BJU is good, too, but I think for a variety of reasons that ABeka is better. We don't use the DVDs, since I'm able to teach my kids, but the rest of the program that I AM familiar with is very good.

We are using Abeka Spanish I via the DVD program for my dc (7th and 9th)this year. I had 3yrs of hs Spanish and a total of 7 foreign language credits......The program that they are getting with Abeka is far superior to any teaching that I received. Both my dc are progressing nicely. We have recently started having a young man attend our church who is Latin American, and he is impressed with their knowledge of the language.

Wow! I'm amazed at all of the good reviews of the A Beka Spanish program! I was researching this a few months ago, and all I found were negative reviews here at this site; so I was persuaded to go BJU. I too will have a 9th grader. The reviews said that the A Beka teacher moved way to fast, and I know that A Beka can tend to lean that way sometimes. I've only got 2 college semesters of Spanish under my belt, all of which I remember very little of since that was SOOOO long ago! :) So I will definitely need some DVD or computer help of some sort. Another program I am considering is ACE's Spanish 1 with the DVDs. Cathy Duffy gives these great reviews, but they only go through level 1, so I'd have to find something else for level 2 in the long run. If they had both levels out, I'd probably go that route for sure...it sounds interesting. The Tell Me More Spanish program (by Auralog?) sounds interesting too, but it is recommended that you do a level one program first. I'll be interested in reading more posts about this topic as well. We really like the BJU teacher, Mr. Cancino, from their samples. I just wish it wasn't SO much $ times 4 kiddos! I'd like to hear more detail from you A Beka users as to why you think their program and teaching of Spanish is over the top. Just curious.

Nancy

Nancy

Spanish with ABeka DVD or BJU are both very fine. I have previewed both. I, too, dislike Rosetta stone.

however, this year, we began German and because German was not available in either of those programs, we looked elsewhere. Lo and Behold, Oklahoma STate University has a GREAT, daily , online program for high school Spanish and German. WE LOVE IT !!!!!!!! I took German for six years, and I am simply amazed at how much our son has learned this year in German 1. All tests/quizzes..everything is done online. here is their link for Spanish. I give this a "two thumbs up" program........!

http://spanishonline.okstate.edu/

I am using Avancemos by McDougal Littell with my ds. I took french in school, but he wanted to learn spanish. I chose this based on the web-based activities. They are available here:
http://www.classzone.com/cz/books/avancemos_1/book_home.htm?state=MN
I was able to plug in the ISBNs onto Amazon and find the components I wanted used at very good prices. We are both enjoying Avancemos and learning lots. I'll be using Discovering French by the same company for my dd.

Jennifer

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions