Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Used ATI Wisdom Booklets

Used ATI Wisdom Booklets

Has anyone heard of the wisdom booklets from ATI?
I'm not too familiar, but they looked really good for family study.

My question is if a person can find them second hand somewhere. I'm not too interested in paying almost $700 per year for all the other stuff involved in regestering with ATI.

If it's not possible, does anyone have any other suggestions for something similar?

re: Used ATI Wisdom Booklets

From what I understand about ATI, attending conference and applying to use the curriculum is required. Members are not supposed to sell their used curriculum or even let others borrow/look at it.

Really?? Wow, I did not know that.
Do you have any other suggestions then for something similar to those? :0)

I know that CQLA's English is practically an exact replica of ATI's. I think that they got permission to change it up a bit, but it's literally the same thing.

As for the other subjects, I wouldn't have a clue.

sorry.

Dee

You can buy some products from ATI such as their Character Sketches books, "The Power for True Success" book (character qualities, beautiful pictures), the Character First curriculum, etc. but not their wisdom books.

Here is a quote from the CQLA site (FAQ) about their material:
"You mentioned that CQLA is modeled after some of your favorite language arts programs. How did it come about?
Seven years ago, we felt called to write a language arts programs for families in the Advanced Training Institute (ATI) program that correlated with their unit study curriculum. We began writing the sister program to CQLA, called Wisdom Booklet Language Arts, at that time. When I began writing for ATI, I had done years and years of private tutoring, had success with my children's language arts development, and had used the best of the best language arts programs (in my
opinion): Jensen's Grammar, Understanding Writing, Play 'n Talk (reading/phonics program), Tricks of the Trade, Writing for 100 Days, Learning Language Arts Through Literature (LLATL), Editor in Chief, Easy Grammar, and more. I knew what I liked about each of those programs---and what I didn't.
After I began writing WBLA, the IEW program became famous in many home schooling circles. I had already decided at that time to have two easy reports per month based on the passages (like LLATL, sort of) and to have one longer essay or report each month in which students would learn the various types of writing (like Writing for 100 Days' reports, sort of). I watched the first set of IEW tapes at that time, and thought, "Wow, that Key Word Outline makes more sense than using
a formal outline for the first two reports in WBLA." I also had a checklist (Checklist Challenge) already in place that I had used with my tutoring students (especially the non-IEW items like
redundancy, thesaurus use, vocabulary use, etc.). After watching the IEW video, I added sentence openers and banned words. Basically, CQLA/WBLA is a combination of all of the parts of the programs that I felt worked for my children and my hundreds of tutoring students and test students
over the past ten years:"

And it goes on to explain what they used from specific programs.

Character First is actually done by someone else. You can do this part of it without doing the whole ATI thing.

http://www.characterfirst.com/

My dh forbids me to use ATI, but we're doing the Character First studies with another group of homeschooling families right now.

Hi,

If you're interested in used ones, I don't have a problem mailing them to you. We've recently stopped using ATI and are cleaning out our house for a move, and it seems like a waste to throw them all out.

-frank

If the OP is not interested, I would be, frank! :-)

undergracebyfaith @ gmail . com (remove spaces)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions