Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Anyone use Classical Conversations Challenge Program?

Anyone use Classical Conversations Challenge Program?

I am looking into the Challenge program of Classical Conversations for 7th grader next year? Wanted to know if anyone has done this? E

re: Anyone use Classical Conversations Challenge Program?

We are currently using Challenge A and have absolutely loved it. My oldest son has major processing issue's. What I loved about CC was that it places by skill level and not grade level. CC teaches the kids not just information and academics but HOW TO LEARN.

This is my 11th year of homeschooling and this is at the top of my list of home education experiences.

My friend uses it for her middle school aged kids...they go to a class with others (I am not fully sure how it works). She LOVES it and the kids do to. She said that it is all about thinking and learning and the kids not only like the work, they like having classes with the same group of kids all year.

Her perception is much like Mary Arnold's. She has hs several kids over serveral years and has found Classical Conversation on each level she has used it to be very, very good and much better than traditional co-op or enrichment classes. She also said that is it more beneficial than doing classical education one on one at home, because of the diversity of opinions in a classroom setting and because of the quality of teaching. She raves about it, and is NOT one of those mom who always says everything she chooses is great. She shares her failures and successed, so you can truly believe the "IT IS GREAT!" statements, kwim?

Anne

Thank you for your replies. I am excited about the possibilities. E

I have been interested in CC some especially for my children when they get older. I have a question though.

I saw that in the challenge program you have to study the book "It Couldn't Just Happen" using logic to study creation. But someone told me that that book is from an old earth viewpoint which does not line up with what we believe. Has anyone else had a problem with this book? And how can you use a program that otherwise looks dynamite if you have an issue with a book they are using to teach the truth? I am glad it is still creationist and I used to believe in an old earth philosophy but I no longer believe that after researching. I couldn't tell my kids to study this as truth if that is not what we believe.

I asked a Challenge A tutor to help me understand the issue relating to using "It Couldn't Just Happen." Here's what she said, "It Couldn't Just Happen" teaches the "old earth viewpoint", but the book we read alongside of it is "Don't Check Your Brains at the Door", which goes on to explain that there are other theories about the earth's creation that the Bible doesn't dispove as well (day age theory, gap theory, relavatory day theory). These are all presented as possible ways in which our earth was created." From what I understand about Classical Conversations at the upper grades is that the student is asked to consider information and check it against the truth of scripture. The point of Challenge A is not to teach the student WHAT to think, but HOW to think in light of God's word. The motto of CC is "To Know God, and make Him known."

That is what a CC tutor told me as well. Some people think it's too young to talk about "other" views, but I think it's great. Most kids this age are asking alot of questions and not just believing everything they're told. It's important to be able to make an opinion based on Scripture. E

Ah...I get it now. That really clarifies it much better. Thank you for responding. :-)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions