Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Our old dog can't stand up anymore...

Our old dog can't stand up anymore...

he's 15.5 years old..part German Shepherd. as of last night, he cannot stand up. we've lifted him up but his legs buckle underneath him. he's been getting progressively weaker but now, he can hardly move. I"m really debating what to do...husband and I spoke at 6 a.m. and husband said to allow him to rest on a blanket on the kitchen floor...but Beau is alert and I hate to see him lying there and basically dying over a matter of days. We could put him to sleep..but he's not suffering. he just can't stand up at ALL. hmmmmmmmmm.

re: Our old dog can't stand up anymore...

15 years is a long time for a large dog. I'm sorry to hear he isn't standing. Could you have a vet evaluate him?

Blessings,
Trishy

Are you going to be able to get him outside when he has to relieve himself? I have never had a big dog, so I can't imagine what this must be like. We do have a Boston Terrier though, who will be thirteen this coming year, so I am beginning to prepare myself for something like this.

I don't really know what to tell you. On the one hand, if he can't get up, his life will be severely hindered, as in the case of going outside, and I think I might consider putting him down before he does start having pain or other issues r/t not being able to stand. Taking him to the vet for X-rays, etc. will be very costly, and ultimately, they will probably just tell you that it's the aging process and you will have the choice of expensive meds and surgery that may or may not help, or just taking him back home how he is, or putting him down. However, I understand how a dog can be just like one of your kids, especially after fifteen years, so my heart breaks for you, and I will pray that God will give you wisdom on how to handle this. I wouldn't know what to do either.

We had a german shepherd that eventually got to that point. We had to lift his hind legs to help him up and down the steps to go out. He was an indoor dog. It was sad. I understand what you're going through.

Try giving aspirin (1 tab) a day, not tylenol, and that might make him more comfortable. You probably know you can use a towel around his hind legs (belly area) to get him outside. Most dogs can get around pretty good on their front legs if they have the back supported. Claire

Oh, poor baby :-(

15 is quite old for a large dog. I think that it gets to a point where you decide quality of life. Can you bring him outside to relieve himself? Although he may not act like he is in pain, he "could" be.

This sounds like a trip to the vet and see if there is more going on then just loss of leg strength.

I will be praying for youand your baby. It is SO hard.

martinbeef, it is a hard decision to make. My dh dog got to the point that he could stand or walk. WE had to carry him outside when he had to tinkle. At that point we knew it was time to let go, but everyone has to make that decision for themselves. My dh dog was also having seizures and things were just getting worse not better. You know what's best. Just wanted to let you know Im thinking of you. I have lost three pets and it doesn't get any easier.

thanks ladies. I gave him two Advil in some bread and now he's sleeping soundly. I think we will do something in the next 24 hours. will talk with hubby this afternoon. we have lots of animals die on the farm, but Beau has been a special family pet. he deserves the Red Carpet Treatment. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions