Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

My son can read but he can't spell...any ideas?

My son can read but he can't spell...any ideas?

He is 10 yo and he can read very well but we are really struggling with spelling. I really don't know how he can be such a good reader and have absolutely no clue how things are spelled but that's the way it is. Some examples of recently misspelled words are:
pealc for please
her for here
may for my
ho for who
ternd for turned
I think what he does when reading is pick out a few letters and guess the word by what he thinks should be next in the story. Then as a last resort he'll sound out the word if he has to.

I am thinking about trying TWRTR, Sequential Speller, or The Natural Speller. What do you think? Do any of you have a child who has a similar problem? And how have you been able to help them?
Thanks

re: My son can read but he can't spell...any ideas?

i have no real suggestions other than that my experience has shown me that the more a child reads, the more he or she can spell. I would have that boy reading every single book he can...every single day...many books..lots of books....and check for comprehension (don't just assume he's reading and understanding). being able to spell comes from phonetic understanding and also from being able to visualize the words.

You could've been talking about my husband! He can read well, has an excellent vocabulary, but can't spell to save his life! I have to spell SO many words for him and everything he writes/types goes through me first. It's awful! I have no advice, just wanted to let you know that I am married to an extremely intelligent 30-year-old man who is successful in his career, but can't spell worth a darn! :)

pretty-in-pink

That is so funny because my dh is exactly the same way! He recently switched to an office job and I can only imagine the emails and things his coworkers are getting that haven't passed through me first. LOL So I have him to thank for this particular "opportunity" with teaching homeschool. :-)

martinbeef

Thank you for the advice I will try that. We just went to the library yesterday so we have a good start.

I would suggest phonics!! Stress sounds of letters etc! This worked really well for my son who is starting first grade *we used hooked on phonics in K* and he can spell better than his cousin that goes to ps. The other night he spelled America for the first time alone (I never went over it with him), he was in his dads lap so I think that is pretty good for a first grader!!!
We do however read a lot! A LOT!!! So I am sure that helps also. I have him read aloud and he has to try to sound out words before I help him!

Good luck! Karen

Karen

We use Christian Liberty Press curriculum and I did add the Phonics book to his other books last year. But it was a LOT of writing and he hates writing so I think he was just going through the motions just to get the page over with. I recently started drilling him and his 9yo sister with phonics cards and I'm hoping that will help.

That is great your son spelled America without help. That IS very good for a first grader!

Thanks

Spalding. The manual is the Writing Road to Reading.

If you just get in there and do it, you ds will be spelling above grade level by the end of the year.

I've got the same problem w/ my just turned 11 yr old son.
We are using Sequential Spelling (mon.-thur) and Apples Daily Grams (mon.-fri). He's getting better and better but still has a long way to go. Both of these are layed back and easy for my son (and me) to follow. I'm finding these to be a no stress curriculum.

Good luck,
Mary

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions