Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

I think I'm returning All about Spelling

I think I'm returning All about Spelling

After looking it over in hand, I don't know that it will fit us well with the drill and review style it has.
I found a free link at the FIAR forum with spelling lists broken down which might suit us better since it's less formal. So I may try that.

~Melissa~

This post was edited on Aug 24, 2008 02:26 PM

re: I think I'm returning All about Spelling

Melissa,
I tried AAS as well and sent it back. Do you have the link to the spelling lists you are speaking of? I'd be interested...

I want to tell you what I am using and maybe you or somebody else will want to give it a try.

I am using the McGuffey Primer for spelling, reading and dictation. Someone on this board told me about it. (Khris0117?)The first lesson in the McGuffey Primer has a word list and a few sentences that use only those words. The next lesson has a few new words and a little story that uses the new words, plus some of the old words. There are around 50 word lists and stories.

I teach my son to spell the words listed before the stories by talking about the sounds in the words. (MAN sounds like /M/ /A/ /N/ What do you think the first letter is?...) I use a white board during this part.

My son reads the story. He likes that.

I read him a sentence from the story and he writes it and then checks his work against the book. There will be no surprise words because all the words in the sentence are words from that lesson and previous lessons. That makes it less frustrating than if I picked dictation from any old book, with words he doesn't know how to spell. It also gives him review of the words he has already learned to spell.

I dictate the words listed at the beginning of the story that were not already in the sentence, so that he has written all the words.

Lessons are very short and to the point. I think it is Charlotte Masonish. You can find The McGuffey Primer free online to see if you like it. So far, this is working for us so well. My son learned to read on the primer and he learned really fast when we used it. After a few months he grew bored with it and so we put it away and he read the Pathway readers. He enjoyed them a lot, but he progressed faster with McGuffey. Now I am using it for spelling.

lucky13 sure thing, here is the link:

http://school.elps.k12.mi.us/donley/classrooms/berry/sitton_spelling_activities/main_page.htm

~Melissa~

I'll bet I could do that with the CLP readers we have on hand as they also have a word list in the front. We are still doing ETC and Queens LL. I'm just sort stuck right now as to which course to follow.
Thanks again!
~Melissa~

I was also stuck on which course to follow for spelling and writing. We have a spelling workbook and my son can copy words in it, but he couldn't spell the words. I think he needs me to teach him to spell, and he needs the review that dictation will give him. The dication always has words from the present lesson and previous lessons. I thought you might like the idea too. Thanks for the idea Chris!

I guess it depends on what you want out of a spelling program. If you just want word lists, AAS is not for you. If you want to cement the phonograms and the spelling rules, then it is a great program.

I guess it depends on what you want out of a spelling program. If you just want word lists, AAS is not for you. If you want to cement the phonograms and the spelling rules, then it is a great program.
Yes not to knock the program, because I think that if we were not doing other things than it would work nicely. But I just cannot see using their card system. I'm not a card kind of gal and that seems to be the bulk of their system.

~Melissa~

Well, I like AAS, and I don't use the cards very much at all. I use the whiteboard, the tiles, and the teacher's manual. This was with level 2, so perhaps it will be different using level one this year with my younger one.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions