Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Beautiful Feet History of Classical Music?

Beautiful Feet History of Classical Music?

Has anyone used this? My music plans for the year have sunk, and I'm trying to decide what to do instead. Any thoughts on this?

re: Beautiful Feet History of Classical Music?

anyone?

I like the looks of this program but really can't swing it at this point so I can't comment on it.

What are the ages of your dc? I just ordered a book to use w/ my 10 + 12 yr olds. It just arrived and I am thrilled! It looks like it will be just what I am looking for, basic but complete. They were both in band w/ lessons but 4th/5th gr band is all the exposure they've had. It could also be added to very easily if you are looking for more of something.

Here's a link:
http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Story+of+the+Orchestra+with+CD/023532/1216866017-528619

It's not quite what you could be looking for but it's an idea.
K

Dc are 9 and 10 (4th and 5th/6th grades). Dd (10) has had 18 months of piano lessons, Ds (9) has had 9 months. We also have and have used Music Ace Deluxe, so I don't feel like we really need anything more in the lines of theory. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, just thought BF has always looked interesting and maybe this was a good place to start. It's just soooooo expensive if I buy everything at once (which I realize I don't have to do), and I'm scared to take the plunge without talking to others first.

Well, check the book out. It's not theory at all. It covers composers, musical eras, and the instruments. It has a cd that you use w/ it to hear corresponding music to what is being discussed. The instrument coverage looked really good - not just the few basic ones that you usually come across in other things. And, as I said, you could easily add a bit more, like music from the composers that are covered and others in the eras that are talked about. (My boys that I plan on using this w/ are 10 + 12.)

K

I am also planning to use Story of the Orchestra next year with my dd 12 and ds 8. DD has done Music Ace, and ds will as well, and they take piano lessons from grandma. With my older sons I used the Music Masters and Classical Kids CDs to help them learn about composers--typically they just listened to them at bedtime or in the car and we discussed some of the information...nothing too formal. Some of them we own, some we got from the library.

I, too, looked at the Beautiful Feet course and it looks excellent. But I didn't feel that I could add the complete curriculum unless we took a year off from our regular history studies to focus on music history.

Could you get the guide, and then upgrade to the full package after really seeing what it will be like? Or could you plan to use the course over several years? Just some ideas.

Chrissy

I bought the whole set used --- got an amazing deal. Most of the materials were in original packaging! It looked brand new to me.

Anyway, this is a great set of resources. I am using it piecemeal with our Charlotte Mason styled composer study. I love having all the books & CDs on our shelf for reference.

Jimmie

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions