Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Ace Paces vs Lifepacs for Social Studies

Ace Paces vs Lifepacs for Social Studies

History/Social Studies is not my best subject, and I would like to get some workbooks for dd(gr2) and supplement with literature. I am trying to decide between Ace & Lifepac??
Also, how accurate is the Ace diagnostic test, according to this my dd should begin with the 5th grade level and she is just beginning grade 2??

re: Ace Paces vs Lifepacs for Social Studies

I prefer ACE over Lifepacs. We have used ACE's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade social studies paces. Even though I prefer the paces over the Lifepacs, I'm still a bit unsatisfied with ACE's early grades in Social Studies because I'd like there to be more history. So it depends on what you want. If you'd like your child to learn more history than social studies I would recommend Landmark Freedom's history. If your child is in 2nd I don't think I'd put them into ACE's 5th grade paces because it would be too much but my 2nd graders did the 3rd grade paces easily.

I agree with pp. I have not seen Lifepacs but I use ACE for LA(not currently using SS or science). I have the 3rd grade and it covers map skills, living in community and people in community etc(very much ss) however, I am going to let my ds do them at end of our 2nd grade year as well these are things I forget to cover. That said I have used(way too many to list) but mostly literature books this year for Hx. and CLP "A child's story of America. For science, my ds-2nd has always worked on what my oldest is using which has been ABeka with library books. I am however planning for him to do activities instead of me reading everything this year. My ds is advanced(not quite as far as your dd tested-never actually did placement test with him-more a maturity issue) the 5th grade SS requires more out of child. I have it and the print is smaller and lots or writing to answer questions as well as learning the states and labeling maps while your child may be able to read it she may become frustrated with the actual work required. I would say the 3rd grade SS and science would be fine as I know my son could do them now but I have different plans right now for him.

The placement test for SS/Sci is just a reading comprehension test. If your child reads ahead of grade level, the child will "place" ahead. The test is really to be sure that your child is on grade level. You don't use the test to place your child ahead, rather to see if you need to place your child back.

pcm

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions