Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Joyce Swann...anyone heard of her? (accelerated homeschool education)

Joyce Swann...anyone heard of her? (accelerated homeschool education)

I found an article (on accident) about her and her homeschooling journey a couple of weeks ago. I did a search for her name on this board and didn't find anything.

I briefly remember someone on here mentioning (a few years back) that her son was doing two grades in one year. I think they were doing Spectrum.

Do you know of anyone doing this method of homeschooling? I knew of a girl who used CLP when she was around 11 or 12 in the 8th grade curriculum.

What are your opinions about accelerated education? Of course the article states that it was not their intention for early college to happen but it was the end result.

This article is from her daughter Alexandra Swann:
http://www.home-school.com/Articles/AcceleratedChild.html

This is from Joyce
http://www.home-school.com/Articles/HomeschoolTips.html

Here is the main page of articles...there are more from both mom, daughter and son.

http://www.home-school.com/Articles/#JSwann

Tasha

re: Joyce Swann...anyone heard of her? (accelerated homeschool education)

I've heard of her, and I've read about her in the past, but I didn't read the articles in your links.

"What are your opinions about accelerated education? Of course the article states that it was not their intention for early college to happen but it was the end result."

I really kicked this around with our dd. She was an early learner and if I had pushed at all, I could have easily had her two years ahead in her school work. Then if I had schooled year round and skipped all the review work, like Swanns did, who knows where it would have gone. I decided against it and have become more and more opposed to it (for our family) the longer I've thought about it. Our children grow up too fast as it is. I have no desire to have a 16 yo with a master's degree. What's the point?

JMO since that's what you asked for :-)

Yes, that is what I am looking for...JHO's. For me, I think I would miss out on the extra stuff my kids like to do. My kids like to do lapbooks. I haven't scheduled it in yet but they have had a taste of it and actually like it.

I do homeschool round per dh request and he wants a five day schedule. But he and I (grammar? LOL) also don't see the need to actually finish so early.

Where is R&S english when you need it!

Tasha

There are alot of times I wish I could school year round, but I'd just stretch the school year out and take breaks throughout the year. I just don't want them to graduate early. (Our community college is 50 miles away, so even that isn't really an option for us unless it's online courses.)

Ok, I read the book her daughter wrote. A couple of things kind of gave me the heebie jeebies. For one, she referred to her mom as "mother" throughout the whole book and her dad as "my dad". Also one of the children was hospitalized. If I recall correctly he was very young and very ill. Hevery nearly died he was so sick. I no longer have the book so I don't recall the specifics. They did not stop their lessons.

I came away with a couple useful ideas so it's worth a quick peruse. I'd either get it from the library or put it out of your head. ETA: I guess you weren't really asking about the book (and that was more of a "pushy" opinion ;-). Sorry - can't help myself! lol!)

I'm all for accelerating within reason. I'm hoping to keep our summer break short and productive (learning takes a new direction but doesn't stop) and skip the first 50 lessons or so in math at least.

My 14 yo is ready for some college classes (hopefully online throught the community college) but no way could I see him being a full time student at a University.

Darla

This post was edited on Jun 11, 2008 07:18 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions