Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Are ABeka or BJU Anti-Catholic?

Are ABeka or BJU Anti-Catholic?

We are Catholic, but I've been noticing that many people sing the praises of ABeka and BJU for various subjects.

Have any of you noticed anything blatantly ANTI-Catholic in any of the publications you've used?

If it's true, that's one thing...there have been things that have happened in the history of the Catholic church that are less than "nice", and it wouldn't bother me to discuss those things as they come up....but unnecessary statements, things that are based on opinion versus fact, etc..that would bother me...

Is there anything like that in these curriculums? And if so, could I work around it enough to still like them?

re: Are ABeka or BJU Anti-Catholic?

We are Catholic also. We use Seton (and you might want to consider using it as it is similar to Abeka, bot TOTALLY Catholic...see setonhome.org).

I have friends who use Abeka. They are not Catholic, but have not mentioned that the material is anti-Catholic. I have HEARD other Catholics advise Catholics to steer clear of Abeka and BJU, but I do not know the details. I have heard folks object to BJU because of race based policies on their actual campus years and years ago and thus refuse to use the hs curr. BUT, that was all bits and pieces of info.

Finally, everything about Seton is Catholic, right down to the spelling words and math word problems and book reports (2 per year on Saints and very good and engaging stories). If you are worried about that issue, consider a Catholic curr. (Seton, Catholic Heritage, Mother of Grace, etc.)

HTH-
Anne

p.s. If I were not Catholic and intent of having a Catholic base, I would SURELY use abeka!

This post was edited on Jun 05, 2008 02:14 PM

Catholic here---and the answer is YES!!!!! BJU is WAY worse and much more rabidly anti-Catholic than Abeka----but not necesarily in all subjects. The main subjects to be wary of are History and Bible. Believe it or not, my dd is using the BJU Bible for 8th grade---and so far, there is nothing offensive or nasty and she LOVES it. BUT---we also use Seton Religion so she is well grounded in her faith. But, in the 7th grade history---it was offensive, overt and historically twisted. I have looked at the Abeka 7th world history---and I think it is worse!! You are better off as a Catholic to use something like Seton, SL, or Notgrass for history and religion. The rest of the subjects from Abeka or BJU would probably be fine if that is what you wanted to use. No matter what history I use, I always make sure my kids are getting both sides, so we use the Catholic history books also. The main reason I don't use them exclusively is that they are BONE DRY!!! Reminds me of why I have no recollection of history from school----boring............HTH!

The catholic homeschool groups do not support abeka. I dont know about bjs but it seems from the above post that bj is just as bad. I use abeka lower grades with no problem...but not the history. just the LA. I find no issues with the LA at all.

I'm not Catholic, nor do I use Abeka, but find it interesting that the Catholic grade school by my house uses Abeka. Seems strange that they would if they're anti-Catholic.

Carrie

Thank you for your replies...

I am mainly looking for the language arts end of it...

I have been using LLATL but we're not in love with it...and the Wise/Bauer team said on one site that they liked ABeka the best.

I just am hesitant to try it with the idea of negativity towards our faith being interwoven into it...my dh is not Catholic and although he isn't "against" Catholicism, he isn't "for" it either, and it's all I need to have the kids dealing with both him AND their schoolwork, KWIM?

Any more info?? :-)

I have no issues with the LA. We love it. I have used the lower grades and 6 grade. My friend used the 7th and said it was fine as well. The main problems come across in the history. I cant think of anything negative you will find in the LA book.

There is actually an article on etwn that suggests using abeka for some subjects...so I am sure you are fine.
http://www.ewtn.com/library/HOMESCHL/CATHHS.HTM

This post was edited on Jun 05, 2008 06:09 PM

The LA should be fine---I am using the Abeka grammar and spelling with the kids next year. I have looked through both books---and have seen nothing offensive! I much prefer the more visual layout of Abeka over BJU LA too, as I tried 2 levels of BJU W&G and it just did not click.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions