Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

The Writer's Jungle and Bravewriter.com

The Writer's Jungle and Bravewriter.com

I am unfamiliar with this resource which I found on the bravewriter.com website. (Susan mentioned this site when she replied to a post about copywork.) Do any of you have The Writer's Jungle? Have any of you used the Bravewriter resources? I'd like to know more.

re: The Writer's Jungle and Bravewriter.com

I have not used any of Julie's resources yet, though I do plan to use them as I can add them into our budget. I do frequent her blog and use many of her ideas in our homeschool. I have a friend who read Writer's Jungle and loved it. I will look see If I can find her comments on it for you.

I love Julie Bogart's philosophies and we do use her Free write promts found on the bravewriter's blog every friday. As well as her ideas for Tea Time.

Missy

We're in our second year of using it. I love it and it suits us perfectly. It integrates well into other subject areas. There don't seem to be a lot of 'products' per se, but I do have The Writer's Jungle and it is the spine for my Language Arts program for both children. It's basically a guide for how to teach kids to be writers. I actually had a writer friend of mine look it over. She said that the exercises in the books are exactly the types of things she had to teach herself in order to become a writer. She is a homeschooler and now uses this for her own child.

I bought The Writer's Jungle. Mostly I follow their outline for copywork, observation exercises and Tuesday Tea Times. I purchase The Arrow and do that book for the month and teach those grammar points (go to the boards to look at a free Arrow subscription based on Farmer Boy). I did purchase the Grammar books that The Arrow references. They are small and cheap and fun :-)

What it isn't is a true curriculum with schedules and numbered lessons to complete. The Writer's Jungle is more of a reference to use to create your own Language Arts program. They do offer an online writing course. I haven't tried that yet, but plan to in the future. It does outline a progression of the writing stages that children (or anyone, really) go through on the road to proficient authorship (is that a word?).

I'm actually surprised that more people don't use this. I think it's just as good a Language Arts program as my Singapore is for Math and my Spelling Power is for Spelling. Right now, mine is actually on loan to another friend who is considering using it.

HTH

Valerie

Thanks for your helpful comments. I'm feeling a little unsure about the idea of doing my own lesson plans. But I just subscribed to Julie's email group and it sounds like her daily and weekly suggestions could go a long way toward helping me figure out what to do. I really like her philosophy.

There is actually a suggested plan to follow in the back of the book. Mine is on loan now, or I would copy a snippet for you, but she does provide a framework . . . you just don't get clear-cut questions and answers for writing like you do for other subjects because it is so subjective. Of course, there is also great flexibility to integrate this into other subjects and I really like that. I'm also a fan of one guide that several kids can use for several years.

Valerie

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions