Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Abeka vs. Bob Jones

Abeka vs. Bob Jones

I have been doing a literature approach for a couple of years, but I think I want to try a more traditional approach. Any abeka or bobjones users, or if you have used both, tell me everything you love, hate, etc.! How do they compare?

Thanks
Amie

re: Abeka vs. Bob Jones

If you do a search, you will find several Abeka vs Bob Jones threads from earlier posts. I know I posted one a while back. I finally chose BJUP b/c I prefer their phonics system over Abeka. Abeka does the sa, se, si, so, su whereas BJUP does the word family approach. DS has been using Zoo-Phonics at his preschool now for the past 2 years, and they do the word family approach. So, since he's already familiar with that, I felt it would be a better fit. That's the main reason I chose BJUP over Abeka. I haven't really compared the other subject modules though. I'd do a search though and see what threads you can find. HTH!
Sherrie

I'm sorry to bring back an old topic, but the search feature is not working for me. I get an error message every time I put in a topic. Thanks for anyone who is willing to readdress this topic.
Blesssings,
Amie

Ok. I've used BJU and Abeka.
BJU is more teacher oriented. Much of the meat of the learning is in the teacher's manual's in the younger years. I couldn't teach without the great stuff in the teacher's manuals. It was a plus and minus for us. For math, I love the depth of the teacher's book for helping me teach the concepts. You couldn't ask for more help! For history and science, I didn't think the student texts could be used without the teacher's manuals and information in them. That's when we switched to Abeka this year for history and science. We're using 3rd grade science and history. It's been a wonderful year so far. The children can open their books, read and learn. I can choose all or some of the comprehension questions/discussion from the teacher's edition that I want to use. I don't use Abeka's curriculum guides, but do like the TEs. Anyway, I've found that Abeka is easier to use in our HS. It is God centered and follows a good scope and sequence. I can check off the unit/person we studied as we go. I copy off the scope and sequence in the beginning of the TE, hang it up and cross off the units as we go. I have a bird's eye view at all times as to where we are at and where we're going next. :-)

I love BJU math for the younger years. The updated math editions have been wonderful for us. For our DD, BJU math is a great fit so far.

For phonics/reading, I like Abeka much better than BJU.
We used the Abeka Handbook for Reading with great success.
You can use it with or without the workbook and flashcards.

You CAN tweak Abeka and make it work for you. You DO NOT have to do every activity or set of questions in the teacher's edition/curriculum guide. It's set up for a classroom. YOU can make it your own. If I tried to follow the curriculum guides or TE to the T it wouldn't work.

Lastly, I add in our own books from the library and do light notebooking with our kids to make each text chapter more like a little "unit". It adds depth to the text and usually keeps their interest longer to have other books on our topic to read for fun.

If I had to choose BJU or Abeka for the younger years, I'd say Abeka b/c of the ease of use and solid and clear scope and sequence. BJU just didn't work well for us, but it might be right for you! I'd look at both publishers offerings closely and pray about your choices. Don't rely on our opinions alone. :)

I pray for God to make it clear to you! :)
HTH,
Michelle32

Hi Amie,

I think the search feature isn't working lately. This board also just changed management, so maybe they are changing it and that's why. (?? - I'm not too much of a computer-techie.)

And btw, Welcome!!! It's nice to have you here. :-)

Re: the difference, I think you'll find that with these two, you other love one, or love the other. ;-) Ultimately, they will both provide a good, sound education.

That said, for phonics, I can't really recommend BJUP at all. They are not teaching a pure, explicit phonics, but more of a smattering of phonics on top of a look-say method of reading. Their phonics is pretty similar to Calvert, imo. In fact, my mom, who hs'ed most of us with ABeka and taught some of to read with ABeka (out of 7 of us total - some had had prior schooling) is this year teaching K5 in a Christian school using BJUP and she is VERY disappointed in their phonics. My own dd is also K5 at home with Abeka phonics and my mom can see the difference so clearly.

So I'd definitely use ABeka phonics. You could do so even if the rest if BJUP. That's easy.

Now as to deciding for the rest, there are SO MANY factors with these two publishers. :-)

BJUP costs more initally, but their books have a better re-sale value and keep their value, and many are hardbacks, and even their softcovers are better bound.

BJUP *can* be more teacher-intensive, in a certain way, esp. in science and history, where much of the "meat" of the material is to be found in the TM.

BUT because BJUP's TM are better laid out for you, and tho' busy, more streamlined and have been specifically written for hs'ers, (not just re-worded from a classroom manual like ABeka) it somewhat evens out.

SECOND BJUP has a really neat way of teaching material that is very engaging, and draws you into it better. ABeka is somehow (to me) more like a recitation of facts. It reads, (to me) like an encyclopedia article. Yes, it's colorful and well-designed....but it drags and it also has pounds of minute detail to memorize. Or at least, to wade through. (R&S also is engaging, but they aren't so colorful as BJUP.)

BJUP does a much better job of teaching critical thinking skills! ABeka is rote memory beyond its usefulness (necessary to 3rd or 4th grade...and by 7th, it should be a thing of the past).

BJUP has a hs-friendly Bible curr. ABeka's is awkward and only cost-effective if you have a bunch of children so you'll use it for them over and over. And in the upper grades, ABeka really can't compare with Bible to what BJUP teaches.

So if it were me, I'd go with ABeka phonics - your dc will never have trouble spelling if they have sound, pure phonics in K5-2nd. :) And I'd use BJUP for the rest. Or if you want to save some costs, I'd use BJUP for history and science and math, and ABeka for language arts (which is the one place it shines ).

Hopefully Chrissy will see your post. I think (?) she is the expert on this board for BJUP, having used it for many, many children and knowing it inside andout.

Margaret

i've studied both and they seem very nice and identical as far as academic content and challenge. we've used abeka for six years and love it. started in grade 3. i've often heard that BJU is more "teacher intensive"..i don't know about that. all i can say is that the manuals are so easy to follow with abeka..and as someone else said..you can easily eliminate busy work if you wish. personally, i think language arts is the sterling portion of the abeka program..and i say this to everyone I meet. i would put it ahead of every LA program out there. our son is now in grade 9 and he's getting such very high achievement test scores, almost perfect, in LA. it's due to abeka.

I agree with Martinbeef. My youngest has used all Abeka for K5 and 1st and we will continue. She only missed five questions on the entire Cat test we took with Seton. My older dd was a post high school level language, vocab, reading comp on her standardized scores in 9th grade.She was still very strong in this area on the PSAT we took this year. That to me is why I have decided to stick with Abeka for my younger dd. I may not care for Abeka's science or history; but to me that does not matter.

Agreeing completely with the previous posters that should you prefer ABeka, you CAN tweak and make it work, and if you like it, go for it, don't be overwhelmed by the TM at all, just adapt and move it around to fit YOUR homeschool. :-) I did that and it absolutely worked for us.

Margaret

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions