Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

6th grade history

6th grade history

wht history is reccommended for 6th grade???
like it hink 4th grade is state history. i dont know wht is for 5th, but we used American History. now wht do we do for the coming year?? ancient history? government? Is there any curriculum out there that is like US governmt? but for 10 yr olds?? With the election coming up i thought that would good to do this year.

THanks for all ur help!

re: 6th grade history

sorry, i forgot to add soem other things we r looking for.

we would prefer secular. some literature based would be nice:) this will only be my 2nd yr HSing so we still dont know too much abt wht is out there. i would like something along the lines of Charlotte mason method.

Thanks.

I have secular history plans that I made up for 4th - 6th grade. It uses a couple of spines and lots of living books and DVDs. The emphasis is on American History but has world thrown in as well.

Feel free to email me at coffeeheidi at hotmail dot com

The file is a Word 97-2000 (?) doc. but I can save it in something else if that's easier.

~CoffeeHeidi

I think that this is entirely up to you and your dc interests.Up until highschool you do not have to follow a planned schedule for history. For 6th grade we did Abeka which is New World History. It covered the time of Columbus up until 2000ish. I think that switiching to Ancient History would be a nice relief and whats comes to my mind is Story of the World along with their activity guide and Mystery of History. Also I have heard many postive reviews from Beautiful Feet and Winterpromise. Since my budget doesnt allow me to buy those curriculums I stuck with Story of the World and ordered through our local library the suggested living books.

HTH
Katleti

I agree with the pp who said there really isn't a right or wrong. You said on another post Beautiful Feet is working well. How about using their Ancient History for 6th (says 5th-8th) and then the following year you could do Medieval History?

thank u for ur replies.
does anyone else hv suggestions for history for 6th grader. does anyone know of a US government type history for 6th graders??

CoffeHeidi, i believe i have ur outline from last year:)
THANKS!

Calvert has some nice, secular books for middle school history, as well as a civics/government book. typically, in public school, world history is taught in sixth grade (you asked about that). but your son is age 10? is he a very advanced student?

the reason i'm asking is because Beautiful Feet's World history for the middle school grades (grades 7-9) is outstanding and very little Bible reference...some, but not alot. The curriculum uses mostly the books by Genevieve Foster..The World of Captain John Smith, George Washington's World..and more.. the program also includes reading great literature, such as Johnny Tremain, and Carry on, Mr. Bowditch. we used this program for grades 7-8. However, i need to caution you that it's for an advanced reader. we did much of it together.

thx for the reply martinbeef:)

no my son is not advanced. he had started school in Michigan in which the deadline for entering kdgn is Dec 1st (not aug and sept like most other states) so he is a younger one. when we do start whatever history i decide to choose he will almost be 11 (in Nov 2008). Rite now we r not even 1/2 way thru BF's Early AMerican History (intermediate). He does LOVE reading and is quite advanced for his age in reading books/novels, but i still dont think we will do the middle school world history u r referring to. But thanks for letting me know about that bc that is something we will DEFINTELY do in 7th, 8th grade:)
Have u ever used the Beautiful Feet's ANCIENT HISTORY for grdeas 5-8?? i am looking into that and trying to get feedback.

THANKS AGAIN!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions