Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Lapbooking/Notebooking & Sonlight?

Lapbooking/Notebooking & Sonlight?

I didn't see a place to introduce oneself. . .so Hi all. . .I'm Valorie; mom to an 8yo, 6yo, 4yo, and 2yo twins. :-)

I am desperately searching for someone that lapbooks/notebooks/scrapbooks their way through Sonlight?

re: Lapbooking/Notebooking & Sonlight?

Hello and welcome. I don't lapbook or do Sonlight, but I just wanted to say hi & bump this for you. Don't know if this will help, but I use The Weaver & we have binders for each subject. I just 3-hole punch the kids' activities (drawing, writing, question & answer sheets, experiment sheets, pictures, collections for science such as seeds, soil types, etc.) and put them in the correct binder. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this.

This post was edited on Jan 02, 2008 06:19 PM

Hi,
We are not using Sonlight, and
we just completed our 2nd lap book this year.
Ther first one we did from scratch, on the Revolutionary War.
I got ideas from the company In the Hands of a Child.
For the second lap book,( The Civil War) I purchased their project book which includes paper materials and reproduceables, with the thought that this would be a time saver. We soon realized that my child got much more out of the one we did from scratch.
She learned more with the do it yourself method because she did all the research, choose what topics to include, designed the format and organized what to put where in the order that was logical to her.These were very detailed and time consuming, but the end result was worth it.
We used Sonlight for a little while last year, and I can't imagine having the time to add a lap book on top of all those assignmentsin the IG!
Lap books can be a simple or a detailed as you want-depending on your child interest and grade level.
Does this help?
Lynn

LOL A little. . .but I'm so glad to be welcomed and to get ideas. ;-)

Sonlight uses a literature approach so essentially (for those who aren't familiar) what I'm contemplating doing is ditching the teacher's guides & schedule and just picking a book, one or two at a time and lapbooking our way through it. Well technically keeping it in a binder bc that works better for our space. . .but you get the idea.

But in a given year, we read tons of books. . .not all of them are long. . .but I'm still wondering on the feasibility of doing so much in one year. ;-) I'm interested to see how someone else might set it up.

Re: HOAC, it's interesting that you say that. I've looked at their stuff and thought that it was a little too reproduced for me. ;-) They have a yahoo group though and the gals on there are super nice. . .some are devoted HOAC'ers but others are just interested in lapbooking. . .

We are using Sonlight this year and I felt like you do...I think it needs something tangible to go along with it to stimulate interest and retention (at least in this house!) Our solution...we are sticking it out this year and adding some lapbooks and history pockets and switching to MFW next year. They have a very similar living books curriculum with lots of hands-on stuff to support it. However, I will still use Sonlight's readers and I know that I will always look at their booklists for ideas. They are wonderful!

Coleen

Yeah. . .we did core 1 this year and while my dd definitely knows more than her peers as far as history goes. . .but I didn't feel like she came away with an in depth enough overview--if that makes any sense. The other thing too is I'm trying to make it easier on me (always good right?) so I figured if I did math and lang. arts in the morning and then spent the afternoon on either science or history. . .that might work better for us. I've already ditched their science (but will still get the story books like Louis Pasteur fights germs. . .etc.)

I'll have to take a look again at MFW. . .I can't remember now why I didn't like it at first. Is it classical?

According to their website, MFW says they combine Charlotte Mason and classical with a Biblical worldview, so not strictly classical. Check it out:) If you like the idea of Sonlight but want more hands-on, this may be just what you are looking for. We are doing Adventures next year and I already have the TM and it looks great!

LOL I think when I started I avoided everything and anything that even started with a 'cl. . ." EVERYONE I know uses a classical approach. But everyone I know has kids who hate school. HATE it. (I'm sure now all the classical mommies are going to throw things at me. . . ;-)) Truth be told though, I tend to think about education very differently that people I know. . .so I think I tend to like classical components of curriculum but not methodology maybe? LOL Or at least not my friends' methodology! Anyway, I will definitely check it out.

I do like Sonlight. . .I think they have one of the best reading lists out there so I'm sure even if we do switch, we'll still be visiting their catalog frequently. The other aspect to this is dh LOVES Sonlight. I'd have a hard time tearing him away! LOL

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions