Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Please compare Saxon & Singapore math

Please compare Saxon & Singapore math

I have used Saxon 1 & 2 with dd and Saxon K with ds. Since I am going with MFW next year, I am considering switching to Singapore for dd. (I will keep ds in Saxon for 1st & 2nd b/c I already have the materials.) There are things that I like about Saxon, but lately the meeting portion & all the repetition is driving me CRAZY! So could those of you who use/have used Singapore list your likes/dislikes with it & how it compares to Saxon? Thanks!

re: Please compare Saxon & Singapore math

sorry- can't compare to Singapore, but by Saxon 3 I did very little of the meeting, and skipped whatever was excessively repetitive as long as DD knew it. I liked Saxon for ease of use, and it worked well for my DDs, plus I already had it, so I skipped what was unnecessary- either a part of a lesson, a whole lesson, or side Bs. Maybe just do Meeting Mondays for review?

Spiral, both of them! Saxon more that Singapore! I tried singapore and HATED IT and my son hated it! We tend to like. If I had to choose it would be saxon and skip around to make everything work together!

I just looked at Saxon, did not use it. I am a real Singapore fan. We like all the materials -- text, workbook, and various supplementary workbooks. I would esp recommend TM, but I would not recommend SM software.

Singapore emphasizes ideas over drill. Each problem is approaches many different way, so that students cannot learn just by rote repetition. It has great visuals that show how operations work. There is also a lot of "mental math".

You can order one of the books for about $8 and see what you think.

Actually, Singapore is a mastery program, rather than a spiral. The two are as different as night and day.

If a spiral drives you crazy, take a look at Singapore.

Erin

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions