Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Saxon math vs. Horizon opinions wanted

Saxon math vs. Horizon opinions wanted

My 6th grade dd has used Saxon math since 1st grade and my 7 yr old dd well, this is her first year to use it. I have found it to be too easy for them this year for some reason. They are both really good at math and bored with the Saxon now. I get eye-rolling expressions each time I say it's math time and comments like "mom, it's too easy". So, I am considering switching curriculums or bumping them up a grade level. What are your takes on this? I was actually strongly considering Horizon math for my 7 yr old because of the color, etc......is it more advanced than Saxon or really no different? For my 6th grader, I may just start doubling up to finish this year our and for next year possibly looking into something a little more "advanced" per say. Any suggestions on either?
~Michelle

re: Saxon math vs. Horizon opinions wanted

I can't say for your younger dd, but for your older one, instead of doubling up on lessons, you could have her take the tests--just the tests--until she can't pass one with at least 70%. If she can pass all of the tests, go on to the next book.

I just switched my 9 yo ds from Saxon to Horizons and he is sooo much happier. Saxon went too slow for him. He likes the pace of Horizons. He tested for 4th grade for Saxon but for 3rd grade for Horizons, so it is more advanced. You can take a placement test at www.sonlight.com. We went from moans and groans and "Mom, I already know this, we've already done this!" to happily and quietly zipping through his Horizons workbook.

Sarah

I agree w/both PP.

We went from Saxon 3 to Horizons 4 w/no trouble. My ds loves the color, math games, etc from Horizons. We both love it! The TM isn't great, but the lesson (in the workbook) explains everything. I think the pace of the lessons works well w/kids who are quick at math. We have never done any drill sheets, but find the lessons the right mix of challenge and mastery without being boring.

Regarding higher level math, I'm seriously considering Teaching Textbooks--it really looks good to me.

If you stick w/Saxon, be certain to omit some of it. I can't imagine doing every piece of Saxon! I like Saxon, if used wisely. We also successfully tested ahead in Saxon. I have not found any 'holes' in ds' understanding of any math concepts.

I think the placement tests for Horizons are accurate. After finishing Horizons 4 I tested ds and he tested into Horizons 6, so we went with it. So far, so good!

The right math program is such a joy, but a bad match can be really rough. Good luck deciding!

Spetzi

Thank you all so much for your replies! I "like" Saxon math all in all but it just is too slow for my kids. As far as Horizon's TM not really being thorough in the "how to's" well, that isn't a big deal for me at all if the student workbooks are good. I went to college for teaching math and learned a lot as far as how to adjust teaching styles for each kid. And really with the Saxon 1st grade TM I barely use it at all. I certainly don't use their "word for word" teaching style. I will pull up the placement test you suggested and test them away! LOL
~Michelle

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions