Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

starline press curriculum - anyone heard of?

starline press curriculum - anyone heard of?

starlinepress.com

Looks like ACE only secular. Anyone have experience with it. They don't show enough samples for me to get a real grip on it.

re: starline press curriculum - anyone heard of?

bump

I printed off the sample unit for 4th grade Social Studies that they have on-line. It is on Transportation in the Westward Expansion movement. I thought it was well done and very interesting! It gives good information about the topic, discusses vocabulary words, and has questions at the end of each section. There are side-bar notes with other interesting tidbits. The character quality is discussed throughout the unit, with many quotes from famous people (and yes, even some from the Bible!) and insightful questions about the character quality trait that the student has to think deeply about and answer. I'm going to have my girls use this sample unit to see if they like it.

It does appear that the program is written to California state standards, but I don't see it being a huge problem if you live somewhere else. They do have sections of California History woven throughout the Social Studies units, but heck....it's still interesting even if you live in another state.

In the ACE social studies units, there are always portions that discuss Biblical figures, such as Moses, Ruth, Abraham, etc. While I totally support Christian curriculum, I don't like this in the ACE Paces, because my children generally have already been taught about these things in their Bible curriculum and at church.

However, in this curriculum, the topic at hand is what is focused on. But again, the character quality training provided in each unit is very good, I think.

Some downsides to this curriculum....it is printed in black and white. There are many pictures and drawings, but everything is black and white. (the samples on the website are in color, but there is a disclaimer stating that the printed materials are in black and white.) Also, it is a bit more expensive than ACE. For example, a complete year of 3rd grade english (including the student worktexts and the teacher grading keys) is about $65 for ACE and $79 for Starline.

Thanks for bringing this curriculum forward! It looks like it has some great things to offer! (I did not peruse the math, english, or science sections...only the social studies)

This post was edited on Oct 31, 2007 12:31 PM

I just wanted to add another blurb about this.....I called and emailed to request a catalog and some samples, and they got back to me right away with a reply by email and also a return phone call. I jumped in and ordered some things for my girls and I will post on this when we get it. I'd recommend taking a look at them!

Dollhoney~ what did you find out?
K

I was thinking that I saw where you could get color or black and white. I'll have to look at that again.

Maybe it depends on the grade you are looking at, but for 3-8 I saw color.

http://www.starlinepress.com/Starline_Press_Catelog_2010_3rd-8th.pdf

Audrey :)

This post was edited on Aug 26, 2010 10:36 PM

Well I sure wish I had known about this earlier! We live in Calif and it looks like everything I had been looking for! May just go ahead and order the English this year and continue with Science and history next year...

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions