Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

How to use Sonlight

How to use Sonlight

I'm trying to understand why people recommend not using more than one Core. Isn't this curriculum basically the student reading. I know that there are read alouds, but couldn't I have the student just read them himself if I didn't have time? So if that is what the curriculum is, then why can't children at different reading levels do different Cores?

I have a VERY ADVANCED reader starting 7th grade. And an 5th grader that struggles a bit with his reading. I don't want them reading the same books. I don't want to hold my 7th grader back, but at the same time I don't want to give my 5th grader a book that is way over his head.

If I start my 5th and 7th graders off at the same level, then my 7th grader will not have a chance to go through the higher levels in SL later on in High School. She does not have enough years left of school to cover all the subjects. And I can't start her out at a higher level with her 5th grade brother because he will not be ready for that advanced reading.

I was planning on using Sonlight for History and possibly the Language Arts. But that is all. I am using Noeo Science, which they can do together. So, would it be as difficult as everyone says to have them use separate curriculums?

My plan is to have my 5th grader do Core 3 and my 7th grader do Core 6.

Thanks for all your advice!

Heidi - mom of 5
Ramstein Air Base - Germany

re: How to use Sonlight

I think that once your oldest is able to work independently doing 2 cores is fine. My oldest started doing some of the RAs on his own in 5th (Core 4). We combined 2&6 when he was in 6th. In 7th he did Core 5 independently. So yes it's doable. I would suggest pre-reading RAs if possible. They tend to be heavier emotionally.

Hi Heidi,
My husband was in the Army and stationed in Germany. It was before we met though so I don't know what part. His mom emmigrated from Germany when she was 14. That was so many years ago but she still speaks German fluently. Hope you like it over there! I've seen some of my hubbys pictures of the castles there and in Austria and they are beautiful!

As far as Sonlight, we plan on doing 2 cores later on. My kids have a 5 year age gap. So my dd is going into third grade and my ds just turned 3. Probably the reason for people to not do 2 cores is because sometimes SL can be so intense. However, I think it could work, and work easily if you have an older child who is a very good reader like yours.

The one thing that I noticed most about SL is that the core numbers don't necessarily correlate to grade level. Last year for dd's second grade, we tried to use Core 1+2 and it was too much for her. So we will attempt it again when she is in fourth grade. I hope this helps you!!
Grace

Many of the SL read alouds are either too hard for the child to read or are intended to have discussion with the parents. Even with advanced readers, the read-alouds should be read aloud, or at least reviewed, with the child, IMO. I agree on what you are saying about the readers. That is why I am doing 2 cores for my kids. I am putting 2 in one core, with different readers and LA for each, and 2 more in another core using the same readers and LA. It will be a new thing for me so I'm hoping it's not too hard.

If your 7th grader is pretty advanced, would Core 100 work? Then they would both be doing American History.

Or if your youngest did Core 1/2 and oldest did alt 6, they would both be doing a one year World History, and both of those use Children's History of the World as it's spine. Then they could do Core 3/4 and Core 100 next year, so both would be in American History.

Just throwing out ideas. I'm no SL veteran obviously, but I have been trying to think of all kinds of combinations for my kids.

This post was edited on Jul 03, 2007 06:52 AM

I agree with the suggestion of the previous poster... consider doing a combo of 1+2 and alt 6 for world history or a combo of 3+4 and core 100 for us history.

Doing two cores will be much more managable if they are in the same time period!

Just to add, if your son did do Core 1/2, he could use the Grade 3-5 Readers.

"I'm trying to understand why people recommend not using more than one Core. Isn't this curriculum basically the student reading. I know that there are read alouds, but couldn't I have the student just read them himself if I didn't have time? So if that is what the curriculum is, then why can't children at different reading levels do different Cores?"

The reading ability of the child does not dictate which core level you follow, that would apply only to the LA you choose when using Sonlight LA. The Core program is not meant for the child to read alone but the LA readers are. So any reading done in the Core is done by the parent to the child or by an older sibling to a younger one with parent being there for guidance or questions.
The curriculum is a family program in that the parent is directly involved in all aspects of the Core readings.
If you just hand the child the Core readings they will be missing key elements of SL as parental involvement is really a must.
SL has this to say in their catalog:
"We do not expect you to hand our program to your child and have them do it on their own. We include too many topics for discussion, issues that require your steadying hand and input."

The reason most tend to combine and try to keep their kids together is two fold. The students will study the same material which is easier on the parent and secondly and more importantly, the students have common studies which is nice for the siblings as they can talk about material and be able to relate to the work each is doing and really enjoy school together. Not only that but financially it's more feasable for many to use SL when they know they can keep many children together in the same core material.

Good luck : )
~Melissa~

This post was edited on Jul 03, 2007 05:55 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions