Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Algebra 2 options?

Algebra 2 options?

My dyslexic son has been using MUS for geometry this year and he also used their pre-algebra. (He did Alg 1 at public school but is back home this year.) He likes it well enough but we are finding there is not enough explanation. I sit with him and watch the lesson so I can understand and help as we go along. But neither of us seems to be understanding. We get it after we watch the video and then as we do the problems, we find we’re both scratching our heads as to why the answer is such and such. I ask my older son (engineering kid) for help which is ok, but I’m wondering if we should stick with MUS next year for Alg 2 or try something else. My son likes Alg better than Geo so he thinks it’ll be fine. Our other choice is to maybe take it at CC because DS is so social and learns well that way. But he doesn’t want to. He’s not eager to jump into college level yet.
He actually did well in the Geo course considering he struggled quite a bit with it. So maybe it’ll be fine. Just checking options.

re: Algebra 2 options?

As a mom of 3 dyslexics (ah, that wonderful gifted term ;-) ) I've used MUS for Alg 1 and 2, Geometry and PreCalc. How has he done on the days where there is Algebra review problems? Did he understand those since he followed a different scope and sequence for Algebra 1. I'm currently finishing up Alg 1 and 2 with my two and I found that I've gone back to the Alg 1 book to review concepts that are lightly reviewed in Alg 2 because of my ds' dyslexia and issues with memory. I first would strongly suggest that he work through the placement for Alg 2 to be sure he has the necessary skills for success. I know the Geometry is challenging but unless you have a true strength/passion for geometry you either do really well or it is just plain a struggle. One thing that I found that has really worked are making posters/notes for the wall or in a folder for my ds to pull out and review how to do x y or z - I've done this for Alg 2 - the Quadratic Formula is currently on the wall along with other notes. Dyslexics just need a lot of support and they don't need to be overwhelmed with a lot of extra problems each day.

You might see about picking up a used Alg 1 book/DVD and a new workbook to have with the Alg 2 (I found we needed the reviews about halfway through Alg 2 so even someone who has only completed the first few lessons of Alg 1 and selling the remaining workbook would probably be of great help).

Be cautious in picking something else because if overall the program has been working it is probably a great fit. Geometry is just one of those courses that most people shake their heads at since it is so much more "logic" than formula based.

I've tried other programs with my older kids but learned real quick that MUS was the best fit in the long run for retention and usability and didn't overwhelm the dyslexic part of their brains.

We tried MUS Alg 2 this past year after having used and really liked their geometry. For us, we had the same problem as you: we understood the video and then encountered problems in the worksheets that weren't the same, and we didn't know how to do them. However, we did not have that problem with the geometry. It sounds like your son is more of an algebra person than a geometry person. My son is the opposite - he did great with geometry and needs a lot more help with algebra - so maybe that will work in your favor.

Thanks! You both brought up some really good points! I was leaning toward sticking with it and I’ll look into picking up used Alg 1 materials.
It’s so true about the review, posting formulas for him to look at, etc. That’s exactly what we were looking for with the geometry. We would be trying to make sense of it and wondering “what’s the rule, what’s the order of steps, when do we do this, why do we do it here and not there?” That’s when my other son said, there really isn’t a set formula, it’s just logical, seeing a pattern. Which is exactly what you said about geo being more logical. ;-)
And I agree, it seems like some people do better with geo or Alg.

My daughter and I had a similar experience to Erin's. We have both enjoyed and breezed through MUS geometry but struggled with the same problem you both mentioned in Algebra 1. We switched to Teaching Textbooks for Algebra 2. We are a almost 6 weeks in and we couldn't be happier. At least once a week my daughter shares how much more helpful TT is and how she is learning so much and finding it much more understandable than MUS.

We are huge MUS fans for Beta through Prealgebra and for Geometry but prefer TT for Algebra by far. I love MUS and I think Steve Demme is a wonderful man. I hate to leave his company but I have to do what works for my child. Both of us are so much happier since we switched to TT.

Just thought I'd share another point of view! :-)

Melanie, are you using the books and CD's for TT? Or are you doing the 3.0 online version? I'm seriously considering attempting Alg 2 again with DS16.

We are using the 3.0 onine version. It's so nice that TT is affordable now!

bump to get rid of spam

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions