Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Standardized Test - I chose the wrong grade!

Standardized Test - I chose the wrong grade!

My son is taking the CAT standardized test currently. He only has two sections left. I purchased 8th grade because that's his current grade, but I just read I should have chosen 9th grade, the grade he will be entering. This test doesn't have to be turned into anyone. Is my error going to be okay? Will I be able to read the results accurately still (I've not given him a test previously). Thanks for any insight!

re: Standardized Test - I chose the wrong grade!

I'll try with my limited insights.

I haven't used or proctored with the 1970 version of CAT that christian liberty does. Is that the one he's taking?

With the tests I have proctored (iowa, SAT) the company says to wait 3 months before doing another level.

Could you do this again in mid August just before starting grade 9? I don't know if it is a different test for those grades, or just normed differently. You probably should finish the sections and call customer service and ask if it is the same test could it be normed for proper grade entry. I doubt you are the first person to make this simple drop down menu mistake and they probably have solution in mind.

once you get some results, you'll probably know if it makes sense compared with normal work load in homeschool daily work.

just one opinion.

It will be fine. As you say, it's for your own use. I wouldn't worry about it.

I think you chose the correct test.

Thanks for your replies. It was through Academic Excellence, the online CAT test (untimed). So he took it over two days with breaks. He scored super well (9 on vocab (stanine) & 7 (stanine) on all other subject area, so I don't know if choosing the 8th grade test, plus it being untimed skewed the results. Either way, I guess it doesn't really matter. He's definitely not behind in anything & that's really the only thing I was trying to gauge. I just want to make sure I consider his strengths and weaknesses when planning ninth grade.

I buy my CAT tests through Seton. And they say to buy the grade the student is currently finishing. My 6th grader will be taking it next week, so I bought a 6th grade level.

Academic Excellence says to purchase the grade the child will be entering if it is at the end of the school year. I contacted them (as an above poster suggested) and they are generously taking his current test and regrading it at the appropriate level. They are not even charging me for my error!

She said the test is the exact same, only the percentiles and stanines will slightly change. His grade equivalency will be the same though. Anyway. I just paid $23 for this test (and that was with a $5 coupon), so I just want the results to reflect accurately... that was the whole point in buying it :o)

Glad to hear your provider was able to rescore with same test.

Sometimes grade levels are in the same booklet like that so recalculating the percentiles isn't a hassle. (such as with SAT-10, spring grade 7 and fall of grade 8 is same test level, just get compared to different grouping). and with the company the original poster used they say "Grade Level - If you are testing in the middle of school year, select the student's current grade level. If you are testing at the end of school year or between school years, select the next grade level for the student; not the student's past grade level"

The take away (other than the fun of bumping down spam posts from view on home page) is to check the information from place one orders as it can and will vary with the specific test and edition used.

This post was edited on May 18, 2018 05:57 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions