Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

ACE Math

ACE Math

If you use or have used ACE Math anytime during your homeschooling, would you please tell me your opinion of it? I'm thinking of switching one of my children over from MUS to ACE.

I've posted before about my oldest sons request to do more ACE this year. He's been having difficulty in MUS Delta with multi digit division and wants to try ACE. He is confused the way Mr.Demme teaches and I've been teaching the traditional way I learned which has helped some. I had to do the same with this child in Gamma as well. I had also considered CLE bc I know he would benefit from the review, but I'm afraid he would be overwhelmed by the constant switching of topics.

So, does anyone have any opinions of ACE Math? Especially if you have switched from another publisher?

re: ACE Math

We used Ace math for about a year. While i think it a good program we switched back to Rod and Staff. All the kids are doing well with it. We never should have switched in the first place. I think Ace will get the job done, but there didn't seem to be enough review for us from pace to pace. We used grades 1-5.

Thank you. I'm kind of worried about the lack of review you mentioned. This ds could use more review than MUS has honestly.

Anyone else have an opinions? Thanks!

I have only looked at ace. I went with cle because it does spiral and review. I have a dc who I know would be more bored staying on one or two topics with lots of same type problems. Cle has been good because it does change from day to day. The dc meets the challenging day, gets a few review in following lessons. In a way, maybe that’s why it’s good. There are days a bit more challenging and days that lessons aren’t as difficult but still they will see the review of challenging. They’ve always managed to master the material in this fashion. My dc who have used cle don’t complain and seem to learn what’s there. Only my mathy guy gets bored at times, but we just keep ticking because it has worked. The dc who aren’t as mathy have also greatly benefited from cle. I have used up through 6th grade.

I've used both CLE and ACE. Personally we (my son, daughter and i) MUCH prefer CLE. My kids like the clean look and straightforwardness of CLE. It seemed to have just the right amount of practice for each concept, and changed things up nicely in each lesson. I thought my kids would prefer the color in ACE...not so!
My daughter started in a Christian school this year in 8th grade. She has achieved Honors status...but she feels is IN SPITE of having used ACE for 2 years beforehand! She got VERY bogged down with ALL the work in ACE Math. She would spend an hour on her ACE Math and often get just 2 pages done because of all the busywork. She got VERY behind in her math and very discouraged.
She'd always enjoyed Math with CLE...and then again, once she started school- she now loves Math again. She hated it during her ACE years. That's just our experience.

Thank you! My only problem with trying CLE Math with my son is that due to the odd scope and sequence of MUS, we would have to start back 2 levels and work from there. I don't know how we could ever get back on track starting 2 years behind :(

Thank you! My only problem with trying CLE Math with my son is that due to the odd scope and sequence of MUS, we would have to start back 2 levels and work from there. I don't know how we could ever get back on track starting 2 years behind :(

I understand that it might be difficult to go back. I went back with a dc. It’s not impossible, but I found because some lessons were so easily understood that we could do two lessons and only one “we remember” per day. I made mine do quizzes but on occasion I skipped the lightunit test. Between levels the first unit is always review and can be skipped if you move continuous through the units. Just some suggestions that if you at all think you might want to try.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions