Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CLE, ACE OR ROD AND STAFF social STUDIES

CLE, ACE OR ROD AND STAFF social STUDIES

If you were to choose one of these, or a combination of, in grades 3-8 which would you choose and why?

re: CLE, ACE OR ROD AND STAFF social STUDIES

I always used R&S in 2nd grade, along with A Beka's social studies, but I didn't choose to use CLE or R&S in any other grade chiefly because they are staunchly non-resistant and not strictly patriotic in a traditional sense, seeing themselves as "citizens of Heaven" versus of an earthly country. Thus if I absolutely had to choose between those three, I'd go with ACE. I didn't feel it was sufficient, though, when I studied its scope and sequence; so if I did use it, I'd have to supplement a good deal.

We have done various levels of Rod and Staff, and just one of CLE. CLE is a lot of fill in the blank, which I assume ACE would also be. Rod and Staff does go a bit deeper. Also, Rod and Staff's program is actually history and geography, so it's kind of cool to have both subjects in one. Rod and Staff is also non-consumable, so when you're done with it you can still turn around and sell the books. My oldest loved R&S, but my youngers didn't. I don't know if it's the most interesting way to cover a social studies topic, but it certainly gets the job done.

Ok, here’s what I like:

2nd grade: Abeka - I like that text - colorful and teaches about our country in a sweet way. Rod and staff is black and white and boring IMO. CLE - same - it’s workbooks. Never used ACE.

3rd grade: rod and staff- this book is definitely cute - talks all about communities/civics things like post office/functions of fire fighters, doctors, etc.

4th grade - I used CLE’s book for a nice geography book. It’s pretty good - maybe a little dry but we liked it and supplemented with maps.

5th grade and up: I think M4J makes a good point on the lack of patriotism CLE and RS display from here on out. I believe CLE’s is a survey of Latin America, which I found not that useful compared to other things available. So I would probably suggest ACE for these grades, although I haven’t used it before. I don’t RS for these levels, which I have tried at various times and always dropped - too dry.

God bless you! We never use Abeka, I like this curriculum but don't work with my son. I use ACE I really liked this.I use Rod and staff too but to little. I decide for CLE but only in MATH is my favorite and for my son too. I never use social studies of any of those you mentioned, because ,we really not liked not for their believe , only we prefer unit studies for this class and science too. My son is not a text book student. Liza...

Okay...grades 3-8 choosing from CLE, ACE or Rod and Staff

I've looked at ACE samples a number of times and just never liked the cartoonyness (Shakespeare made up words and so can I). Just never has appealed to me.

I'd use CLE for grades 6 and 8 as they have the beautiful new textbooks and really well put together light units. Another year and they'll have grade 7 too with the brand new glossy book.

I'd pick RS for grades 3-5

If I had to just stick with one publisher from these, I'd pick the Rod and Staff.

I'm not non resistant, but I never agree with anything 100%. And I've found that Mennonites generally present what they believe very humbly. It's not hard to simply discuss what you disagree with in the book as it comes up.

You didn't ask this....but I still think Story of the World has been the most enjoyed history for my kids. I'm not even talking the projects. Just reading it. It's interesting. It covers a lot. And the kids remember the stories. Crazy simple.

Of those, Rod and Staff.

However, learning those topics with a textbook would not be fun for us at all. We do so much better with a random stack of books to read on the couch. Life just doesn't get much simpler or cozier than that!

No, mine don't wind up with Q&A filled out per lesson, but that isn't my goal.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions