Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Geography - ACE vs Northstar?

Geography - ACE vs Northstar?

I'm looking for information on both ACE and Northstar geography. This would be for an up-coming 9th grader. Anything you can tell me about the intensity, daily time committment, and overall presentation of the material is greatly appreciated!

re: Geography - ACE vs Northstar?

I know ACE just finished updating their geography. I have seen the older edition and it was decent. I imagine the updated will be even better.

Oh, that's interesting! I wonder when that might be available...

I haven't used ACE, so I can't comment about that. But, my dd is just finishing up Northstar this year (in 9th). Overall she likes the program. She learned a lot about all the earth, and from the text and by doing the Fact Files, she learned interesting information on specific countries and continents and their cultures. It took less time than her English, Science and Math (which was helpful in her being able to handle her workload). She enjoyed reading it, it wasn't overly difficult, but she thought it was thorough. She did have to use the internet for research. The activities were fun, but we didn't get to all of them. I plan to use this again with my younger kids.

Summer, does Northstar include things about the countries of the world and their locations? I thought it was more about physical geography like water and land forms and such. Am I wrong? Thanks. (And sorry, OP, for hijacking.)

Thank you Summer123 - that was really helpful!

ErinD - no worries! This way we get MORE information! :D

A close friend has a dc doing ACE geography this year. They both say that it is intense and very time-consuming. She does not plan to do this with her younger dc.

Eta: Can't comment on Northstar, don't know anything about it.

This post was edited on Apr 05, 2018 04:18 PM

I remember that with Northstar there was a lot of printing which got on my nerves.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions