Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

math for 1st-2nd grade

re: math for 1st-2nd grade

It is the front and back of the page. :) And you don't need to do every single problem.

https://www.criticalthinking.com/mathematical-reasoning-level-b.html

We've used Math Mammoth through 6A. We only did one page and sometimes two pages (if there were only a few problems on the one page) at the first and second grade level. We always finished before the year was out. So we've been able to get ahead by almost a half a year. Once we made it to level 4 then we move up to two - three pages a day. Now consistently three pages and sometimes four at the level 6.

I'm surprised at your experience and wonder what we did differently. Is your year shorter? We use the public school calendar. I do use the review questions as the test. They are harder and I feel if my child can do those then we are go to move on. That may buy you a week and a half right there. Also, I find the revised version to be slightly shorter lessons (not by much, but maybe just enough to make a difference). So, what version your using may make a difference. I actually prefer the first edition, but that would be for another post.

We love the straight forward explanations. There are just the two work text a year (no teacher's addition) and we actually used the PDF version for those early years. I just printed off a few pages at a time. That's what I like about Math Mammoth. It's not overwhelming - just one page a time. There are all the great suggestions for teaching the concepts and games to play on line to reinforce the skills at the beginning of each concept. Maria Miller has so many videos explaining each concept for free on line. They've been great the higher up we go.

We actually do not do good when there are excessive pictures on the page - they are very distracting. With Math Mammoth, the color comes with the 2-D manipulative on the page. It's funny, but we do better with 2-D than 3-D manipulative. 3-D tends to become buildings and cars or some kind of scene for a story - and that's while trying to do math (ha!). Now if I was a super homeschool mom I could deal with that by incorporating it with the lesson. Alas, I am not! It was a blessing to have the manipulative always right there on the page - no running around to find them because they've been carted off to be part of some imaginative playtime. We tend to get everything mixed together around our house. So, for our family it works.

Every family is different and different with the same curriculum. The choices these days is mind boggling, so I don't envy your quest. Hope this encourages you if you decide to continue with the Math Mammoth. Let us know what you choose. I love hearing what people end up going with after a quest like this.

Thanks for the reply, Hopefulmama. It's been at least two years since I used MM and I actually don't remember what version I'm using. I know I had the first edition, but I do think I upgraded to the newer one when it came out. It's good to know that the new version's lesson might be a bit shorter.

I have always planned 36 weeks in our school year, so I'm not sure if that's different than yours. If I did 40 weeks, I know we'd easily get through it.

I like MM for all the reasons you do, and in addition, I LOVE that we never had to practice addition and subtraction facts in the early grades. It does such a good job of teaching and practicing those that we never needed to memorize them or use flash cards. That's the biggest reason I want to use it for my youngest (and also because I already own it).

I think that if I do like you did and do a page a day, or two if they're short, that could work really well. I still have a year to decide and I like looking at other options just in case, but so far MM is still one of my top choices.

I saw on another forum about a math book that Emma Serl helped write once upon a time. (I think it is called Everyday Number Stories??)

Anyhow, for myself, I always go back to the tried and true Rod and Staff math.

I used ACE math with my kids when they were young and then we switched over to Teaching Textbooks in 5th grade. I don't think they had 3rd available at that time. It was a smooth transition because they were both mastery. ACE is open and go and I didn't even buy the answer keys at those levels.

I just posted a very similar question - oops! I considered Abeka workbook only. Can you get it finished at 2 pages/year?

Yes, Jennifer, you could finish it doing those pp/day! :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions