Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Lang Arts for ADD Middle Schooler

re: Lang Arts for ADD Middle Schooler

I also recommend BJU's 5th or 6th grade texts - short to the point grammar instruction, step-by-step writing instruction, colorful text, and interesting themes. Christian Liberty Press has inexpensive teacher guides\keys for the elementary texts.

Thanks for all of the helpful input. I do tend to feel like I have to finish the whole page so I can alleviate some of the frustration and get us through this year just by dialing it back. I won't be buying A Beka for him next year though and we definitely won't make it all the way through the book we have.

You've all given me a lot of good things to mull over for next year. It's tax time so I'm doing my planning for 7th grade right now. I homeschooled his 3 older siblings until high school and had it pretty easy because I mostly handed them their work and they did it without any struggles and are currently all honor roll students in school.

My baby (ds 11) has had me on my toes from the time he started school. I should have been a pro for him but he didn't learn the same way his older siblings did at all, so I've basically had to figure out all new methods and materials for him. He really struggled to learn to read and write, but math has always a breeze. Surprisingly to me he is a good speller and is actually a really good reader now. His handwriting is still terrible but we just keep practicing. I think his struggle with the mechanics of grammar is that there are too many exceptions to all of the rules so he is constantly frustrated with it and I'm hoping that he'll do better working through something that has him practicing grammar through more writing.

We are using Essentials in Writing, Daily Grams, and Language Lessons. This combination is working great for us!!

Honestly unless he’s going to be a Latin major or Linguist or maybe an editor he can probably get by very well without all that formal grammar. My children gained much more through writing practice.

(And this is coming from someone who absolutely loved diagramming extremely complex sentences and considered being an English teacher.)

I love Calming Tea's response.
I love all things grammar/english/language arts

However...traditional school do not even teach diagramming sentences much anymore.

I tend to need this advice:
Relax, Mama....it will all be OK.

:) Hoping it helps you today too!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions