Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Lang Arts for ADD Middle Schooler

Lang Arts for ADD Middle Schooler

I am currently using A Beka Language B (5th grade level) with my 6th grade ds. He has ADD (and I believe some other undiagnosed issues along the lines of Asperger's or Sensory Processing Disorder). Our school day goes mostly fine until we get to the language book and then it is melt down time. Do any of you have any suggestions for curriculum that might be better suited for him? Is it even possible to adequately teach him English with something that backs off grammar mechanics? He is overwhelmed with constantly breaking apart sentence after sentence to identify the different parts of speech.

re: Lang Arts for ADD Middle Schooler

You might want to look into:

Learning Language Arts Through Literature

It is a much more relaxed approach.

I’m thinking that I would go with Daily Grams at level4 or 5 because at those levels it includes more instruction than older levels. It’s short and sweet but keeps the dc engaged and moving forward with their skills. I love the practice of sentence combining too.

I also would look at something for writing. Either IEW or EIW depending on the needed approach. HTH

Thanks. I've looked at LLATL so many times over the years because I love the idea of it but it feels like the whole other end of the spectrum to me from A Beka and not quite thorough enough. I also just don't like the layout of it. I was excited about the revisions coming out but am disappointed that it looks pretty much the same.

I am looking into EIW and Writing Strands. I think EIW could be what I need. He is an auditory learner so I think the DVDs would really be helpful.

EIW sounds good, especially if you think he would enjoy the DVD instruction. Otherwise maybe look into BJU English. It's laid out much nicer than Abeka, and doesn't have the level of overkill that Abeka does. Plus, you could always sign up for the online class. They often have specials for $99 per class. The teachers are fantastic and they are quite enjoyable to watch.

My daughter couldn't take all that repetition either. ...

We ended up using BJU Writing and Grammar and I wouldn't say she loved it, but it went smoothly. The BJU book focuses a LOT MORE on writing and a LOT LESS on grammar. The chapters switch off from writing to grammar. The writing chapters are extremely straightforward and easy to use, because each page is its own step in the writing process. Except for the first draft, which is assigned at the end of the Outline page, each and every step in the writing process has an explanation and example and space for you to do your work. It takes away all of the confusion.

What we did when we switched to BJU was to just do the grammar portions as open-book, with no quizzes or tests, and if she was stuck we'd just do it together or look at and copy the CLP Tm. (NOT the BJU TM but the small thin one you can buy from Chrsitian Liberty Press.) In other words, I didn't expect any of the grammar to sink in. SHe did it, or we did it, or we looked it up. No stress...and it has a lot less repetition anyway.

After two years of BJU she was ready to start a co-op that had writing involved and just use a Writers Inc Handbook to revise and get some pointers for her essays.

If you just use BJU for two or three years your student will be ready for the next phase even if the next phase is high school with another curriculum or co-op.

It really doesn't matter what book you choose; it's HOW you choose to teach the book you're using.

:o) :o)

PS special needs teachers do this all the time. Actually, even the non-special needs teachers do, since in some schools the kids are all being mainstreamed. I'm digressing a bit.....

But just encouraging you that you can keep that book, look at the concept for the day's lesson, teach it the way that works for him, and do 3 or 4 sample sentences as daily practise, and you're good to go!

I've taught through Abeka K-12th and it's entirely, totally adaptable to any situation or need. :o) I've taught advanced students and special situation students and average students and adult students. It's all in adapting to the student, not what book you are handed.

(My husband teaches high schoolers and adults, and rarely gets to choose his text; in fact, he's even told the "standards and benchmarks" of what has to be covered each semester. And he still makes it work such that the kids LOVE his class.) :o)

Fwiw, in Abeka 5th Lang. B, you can be spending 10 minutes or so on the daily grammar and be done with it. And even in their schools, they are not assigning every single problem.

If you have other questions, please feel free to ask and I will try to help. :o)

I don't do "language arts." I do grammar, composition, spelling/vocabulary, reading/literature, penmanship:-)

Your dc wouldn't be the first to abhor ABeka's grammar/comp.

For grammar, my preference is Easy Grammar. For composition, I have always liked Writing Strands, but there have been changes recently which confuse me, lol. Alternatively, Wordsmith is pretty decent; I would choose that over IEW, which has way too many moving parts for me, and possibly for an ADD child. Spelling by Sound and Structure (R&S) would include dictionary skills and whatnot that are taught in R&S's English series, which is a decent series but which can be quite dry.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions