Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Geometry for a non mathy student

Geometry for a non mathy student

What would you recommend for geometry for a non mathy student? We're using No Nonsense Algebra, and he's doing ok. His future plans do not center around math at the moment, so we just have to meet the graduation requirements for the transcript.

Thanks.

**cross-posted on high school side**

re: Geometry for a non mathy student

I think MUS geometry is great, and we skip the proofs. If child is not going into engineering or similar field, the geometry is really never revisited again, and proofs aren’t on SATs or anywhere else that I am aware.

I did Abeka's Geometry, and thought it was fun, even though I'm not a mathy person. :) But I also had a delightful cousin to do it with, so that helped, too.

Read John Mighton's "The Myth of Ability" to find out how to develop math skills. It was highly encouraging to me as an educator.

For all high school maths, we used Thinkwell online. Homeschool Buyers Coop often has it on sale.

yaymath, it's taught by a teacher who taped his summer sessions of school, it is affordable, it is a less is more approach, teaching well the concept and not over doing the home work. All papers are printed on your printer, and all tests are taken on line and the grades sent to your email.

You can look at his yaymath videos on his website or on youtube.

Choosing MUS for Geometry just to check the box after a horrible experience with Saxon for Pre-Alg and Alg 1 is exactly what this non-mathy family needed. MUS Geometry completely turned around my oldest dd's opinion and fear of math. I wasn't going to make her do Alg 2, but after success with MUS Geometry, SHE decided she wanted to do Alg 2 (w/MUS) after all! So I stayed with it for my 2nd dd, too.

There aren't very many proofs in MUS Geometry, and as someone else said, you could just skip what little proofs there are if your child isn't STEM-bound.

My daughter is using Teaching Textbooks for Geometry. She's doing great with it. I like how it's self-grading and can see how the problem is done.

I don't know which publisher you should use. But I wanted to say that I'm glad I had my non stem middle kid learn "proofs". It wasn't so much about doing the 2 column thing for us. It was about the process of logic and thinking and showing how you got there. I get the idea I"m the minority opinion on that. But if you're doing that in other areas of life and learning, then it may not be a big deal. But I'm glad we did proofs with the non mathy kiddo.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions